Vintage Sherwood Regulator Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbmech2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I have done many searches via Google for the subject pictures and so far have come up empty. Is there anywhere I could find these types of pictures. I hope to be the proud owner of a model 3000 1st and 2nd and would like to have some pictures. Does Sherwood have some sort of archive? Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't have any of the second stage but here are a few of the first. They are not too good but you at least will get an idea of what it looks like. For what it's worth, it's a simple flow by, non balanced piston reg.

Attachments

• sherwood-3000-web-1.jpg
    sherwood-3000-web-1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 337
  • sherwood-3000-web-2.jpg
    sherwood-3000-web-2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 372
  • sherwood-3000-web-3.jpg
    sherwood-3000-web-3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 261
I'm not sure if this qualifies as vintage, but a friend gave me this old Sherwood Regulator today. Can someone identify it for me?

My guess is it was made in 1983 due to some of the stamps...

Serial # on orange plastic 2nd stage: 178558
Patent No. 3991785 (on 2nd stage metal hose connection) There is a "J 83" stamped on the hose connector as well.
Patent No. 4226257 (on 1st stage) There is a "E 83" stamped on the yoke.

Picture001-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the same. I am a bit of a Sherwood fanatic, simply because they are so simple and bulletproof. The 1st looks like the Magnum/Billard series and the second looks like their version of an octo due to the color, but they are essentially all the same internally.

If I get it serviced think it would be good as a retro pony regulator?

Sure, they are tough reliable regs. The one issue I have using a Sherwood as a pony reg is the dry bleed system they use. If you are not familure with Sherwood regs, they are designed to have a controlled leak. Notice the strange looking plug in the port just above the hose in your photo. If a Sherwood is working properly, you should see a tiny stream of bubbles coming out of this port any time you are diving. If it's not putting out a stream of tiny bubbles, it's time to have it serviced. This leak keeps the spring chamber pressurized and does not allow water to enter the spring chamber. It works great as a normal dive reg but when used on a pony you must keep the air turned on and therefore it will bleed a very small amount of air out of the tank. Not a problem on a dive or 2 but after several dives it will eventually impact the amount of air you have in your pony. You can use it, just keep an eye on the pressure in your pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom