Which rear wing tech BC is the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Hurley

Reaction score
Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a BC that is suitable for cold water (12- 19 degrees). Im a fan of rear wings.....so can you let me know whats out there that rates well with you guys?

If you are going to use wings, why not just go with a backplate?

bp/wings are the way to go but if your not looking in that market I would say zeagle makes the best recreational bc. There ranger and tech are really good bc's. I have heard some minor complaints on the scout. Mainly the complaints on the scout are no usable pockets, its just a plain bc and very affordable. The seaquest black diamond was a good bc but I would never own one again because I believe the zeagle is a much better value(better material and better design on the zeagle). dont buy the tusa imprex back inflate because I thought it was just plain junk. I did not like anything about it. Kinda like owning a kids toy in a mans sport. I stayed away from those back inflates that look like technical bc's (you know the one with 14 d-rings that you will never use but they just look cool.) The good points of the bp/wing are that they are made from the best materials on the market, they are modular and have no unwanted junk on them. you basically put on what you need, if you add pockets you control where they go. I have not found a down side to them yet. The best part is they grow with your diving. If you advance and need more equipment you can control the configuration. If you have a recrational bc you are limited by there design. the best example I can give is if you upgrade to a canister light. with a rec bc it will be hard to mount it. On a bp/wings they are real easy to attatch.

I owned some Rec-wings and ended up selling them. The were too convoluted for my tastes. The Trans-Pac II was a complete nightmare! I owned a Zeagle Ranger prior to the Trans-Pac/Rec wings and it was horrible. Both of them didn't offer any decent options. The ranger was worse w/ those big ass pockets that couldn't go anywhere!

(These are still better than ALL jacket BCs! I.e. recreational only.)

I got a SeaTec bladder/backplate that was decent, but only for a set of doubles. I saw pictures of myself diving with a taco on my back! (or is it a hotdog?)

Do yourself a favor and get the Halcyon wing (assuming single tank). It is incredibly streamlined and has minimal points of failure. If you do dive doubles, you have more decent choices. These include Dive Rite Classic, SeaTec, Abysmal Explorer, Halcyon, etc... After owning a Halcyon wing, I can say that it is very well built. It is what I would recommend.

Bungee wings are really not required for anything. They only present new challenges. I say this from experience, not b/c I read it on a webpage somewhere!

Cold water? 12-19 degrees C I presume since if I remember my oceanography course correctly, seawater freezes at ~ -2C=28F dependant on salinity/pressure. If you are diving in near freezing water, I think the only to worry about w/ any bc would be the inflator and dumps. You may have to tune the inflator down to prevent freezing and minimize the number of dumps in case they freeze open. If your temp range is 50F to 65F, you typically don't have to worry about anything (except freezing your butt off!).

If you do go with a wing, get a backplate! They can be found cheap and to me are much more comfortable than most traditional BCs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom