Nitrox/Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan V

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning, I'm new to diving and starting to look at buying my own equipment. I plan on being cert. for Nitrox soon after my O/W. Im looking at a used SP MK25T/S600T and I seem to recall something about Titanium and Nitrox not being a good combination. Most of my diving will be in lakes and rivers in southern Ontario, Canada with a couple of trips south in the winter. Would this Reg. be a good choice? :coffee:

I have a Cressi ellipse titanium. I checked with the company support and they say that it is perfect for up to 40% oxigen
It is best if you could check with the manufacturer regarding the specific model you want to use

Bottom line:

Unless your regulator comes into contact with >40% oxygen, you'll be fine. Recreational nitrox mixes aren't going to negatively affect your regulator.

Hello,
yes, your past replies are correct.
Only when you would use a technical EAN mix (40%+)would you possibly have an issue.
Furthermore, it would most likely be associated with carbon based materials in the reg such as the hp seat, o-rings, carbon based lubricants, lp seat etc.
As far as I know, the titanium aspect would not be any more effected than chrome molybdemum, chome, brass, aluminum and so on, as 02 is corrosive.
As previously stated, check with the manufacturer
Ok, keep on diving

rebreathe

I would say save your money anyway, Ti regs are mostly hype. But yes, Ti burns at a much lower temps than brass, so it is not suited for Oxygen use. 21-32% nitrox, sure it should be fine with, but like I said why bother? Why pay more for something that is less capable?

Tom

I would say save your money anyway, Ti regs are mostly hype.

Mostly?

Reg manufacturers offer Titanium parts in their products because people see the word "Titanium" and associate it with high-tech aircraft, etc.. It doesn't offer a diver any benefits other than a weight reduction to the wallet.

I can't wait until the Joe Public becomess aware of high-strength alloys like MP35N and we start seeing regs built with it. 300KSI REG FTW.

Next: graphite fiber reinforced plastic backplates with kevlar harnesses. It won't keep you from drowning, but hell, it may stop a bullet.

Thanks for all your input, I had a talk with my local dive shop and I think buying a used reg, on eBay even if it is say $400.00 for a used $1100.00 reg may not be a wise move seeing I would have no warranty and have to pay $200.00 or so for an over haul. I'm really enjoying this site.
Thanks again

Thanks for all your input, I had a talk with my local dive shop and I think buying a used reg, on eBay even if it is say $400.00 for a used $1100.00 reg may not be a wise move seeing I would have no warranty and have to pay $200.00 or so for an over haul. I'm really enjoying this site.
Thanks again

Gilligan, you can get a good APEKS or Scuba Pro cold water reg for 499 in Toronto
The shop where I took my courses run a trade in trade up program now, call them for details Aquarius Scuba Diving Center - Scuba Equipment - Sales, Rentals & Training Instruction Courses in Toronto, ON (416) 604-4203 I think you can get any reg on a garage sale and get a good new reg with parts for live for 499 + tx. The guys are really nice. I wish they ran this program last year before I purchased my Zeagle. Do not buy anything of ebay as you have said you will have to pay for overhaul.
Also look at Zeagles. I have Flathead IV and dove under the ice at Simcoe in 36F and got no free flows. one guy had that reg from their trade in prog and had no issues either. You can mention my name (Serge) may be they buy me coffee one day :eyebrow:

I would say save your money anyway, Ti regs are mostly hype. But yes, Ti burns at a much lower temps than brass, so it is not suited for Oxygen use. 21-32% nitrox, sure it should be fine with, but like I said why bother? Why pay more for something that is less capable?

Tom

I'm sorry but as a chemical engineer I cry foul. Titanium doesn't burn at lower temperature than brass. That's utterly ludicrous. Titanium is in the family of refractory metal. That means that it is hard AND has high melting point.

The problem with titanium regulators catching fire was that titanium oxidizes easily (exothermic reaction). Coupled that with high pressure and you get a case of flame.

Titanium regulators are warranted by their manufacturers to perform up to 40% nitrox. Do these people actually make regulators that would kill divers? If they do, they won't last long in the biz.

What you pay more for titanium is less weight. A lot less weight. That's what you pay more for. As far as performances go, probably the best regulators are the ones made out of stainless steel.

Speaking for myself, my Titanium regulator is worth it for the reason pointed out by "fnfalman"...less weight.

Many of my favorite places to dive are in Southeast Asia. Some of the smaller domestic flights I take there have a baggage weight limit of 15 kilos! So saving a couple of pounds here is important to me.

Otherwise I might only be able to carry my dive gear and a pair of speedos......and nobody wants to see a guy my age in speedos!

-thomjinx

Back
Top Bottom