Do you think recreational divers will get access to this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just seen this on the news, it would be cool if this was a new dive for people on the peninsula.

Monarch likely to remain in Cook Inlet

by The Associated Press
Sunday, March 22, 2009

KENAI, Alaska -- The 166-foot supply vessel Monarch is likely to remain in Cook Inlet after its sinking near Nikiski.

The Monarch sank Jan. 15 when sea ice pinned it against a platform operated by Chevron. Seven crew members were evacuated onto the platform and flown to shore by helicopter.

An official with the boat's operator says it's been declared a total loss.

And Jim Butler, a spokesman for Ocean Marine Services, says lifting it could prove dangerous to the nearby platform and to pipeline and communications infrastructure on the inlet bottom

I hope that if they leave it there, they do what is necessary to make it as environmentally friendly as possible, and safe to dive. I know that before they sank such ships as the Orsky, and Spiegel Grove, The Bibb, etc., there was a LOT of cutting, insulation removal, battery removal, and all sorts of toxic removal done.

Unfortunately this is expensive to do. My *guess* is that whom ever owns this ship will NOT bother unless forced. So it becomes dangerous to penetrate, and a toxic waste for years to come.

No, at least now where it sits right now. Site conditions preclude diving by recreational divers in that part of the inlet. Ripping currents that move boulders the size of houses, near zero visibility, cold water, ice flows. Having spoken to commercial divers who service those pipelines and platforms, I doubt any recreational diver is qualified to dive on it.

Now just the other day someone was mentioning to me about diving under the docks at Jakalof Bay over near Seldovia. While current can still be a problem there, it is manageable. That might be worth a recon this summer by water taxi out of Homer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom