Dive Report: Navarre Beach Pier 20 March 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well it's more bad news for the people that loved Navarre Beach. It's alomost completely lost to the sand now. I went out to the Pier on Saturday without my camera but the Vizability was about the best I've ever seen. It was well over 40 feet of Viz with very little silt, and only a couple of Jellies (Yup they're coming! Took a couple of hits in the face) The only problem was the serious lack of fish. I did see quite a few sting rays back in shore but that was about it. Now the bad news.... We've lost about 4 feet of reveal on the rubble. The sand has left only about 2-3 feet on the rubble with the 45* piling laying on it. You used to be able to swim under it, now it would be tight for a big fish to get through. Almost all of the horizontal pilings are covered. The "Big Cave" section of rubble has only about 1-2 feet before it's gone and devils spire is almost covered up to the three steel piecs (Spires) sticking up. I made a treck to the pieice of rubble out by the second sand barand it is now just a piece of concrete pilin sticking out of the sand at a 45* angle in 21 feet. One small blenny on it! And the wooden pilings aren't doing much better. The sand there was up about 3 feet too. Leaving the area with sections sticking out only about 3 feet at best. Didn't see any Octopus this trip, and like I said before, hardly no fish. The temp was a balmy 68*, and I had a max depth of 20 feet for 70 minutes! :shakehead:

No Octopus? Noooooooooooooo.....

Maybe the sand will hide the rubble from the deconstruction team and it will reveal the good stuff after they are gone???? ---- One can only hope .....

Sad news, but not unexpected. Hopefully Pickens will be open in a month, and we can dive that until the next storm uncovers Navarre again.

Yea - I heard good things about Pickens - When they open the road, I want to dive there...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom