Vortex Report and Morrison Video 2/22/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, sunday was my first dive this year, now that its warmed up enough. We met at Morrison to find it flooded as expected, then drove up to Vortex to do some nitrox, bouyancy and resuce training with a couple students. Luckily it wasnt too busy, and while it was pretty windy and a bit cool, I still got sunburnt and worn out. Class training went pretty well, although I dont fit in my wetsuit top anymore, so made do with bottoms only. COnditions were same as always, and after class, my cave buddy and I headed down to the gate in the cave as we hadnt been there in a while. Its not the best looking cave, especially with pipes and metal and dead christmas tree light tubes everywhere, but we made it about 400ft back, 95ft deep. It was good to get back in the water, but sure was punishing. Back to the gym!

Here is some video of conditions at Morrison.

This time of the year it will probably flood and clear up again before then Ken.. It doesnt take a lot of rain to flood those rivers when they are full..

I went snorkeling at Pensacola beach Friday evening and the viz was about 20'. Then went diving Saturday at Vortex and it looked like a freakin summer camp! Too many divers and people can't stay off the bottom! Went back to Pensacola beach Sunday and the wind was ripping, so we went to chicken bone and the viz was about 5ft :( - seen various fish and starfish. Also found fish trap with 2 grouper in it!

Back
Top Bottom