Sealing the Battery Compartment on Strobe???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Simple question....how hard should you turn the knob on the DS51 strobe battery compartment to get a water tight seal?

I have always been told that when a gasket/seal is involved, you simply want to snug it down and let the seal do the work. But I flooded one strobe using this method. Yes, I know it could have been something blocking the seal, sand, hair, etc. I have also tried really snugging the screw down till it completely stops. Yep, eventually got a flood doing that too.

Just wondering what some of you "old timers" have had success doing with the Ikelite strobe battery compartment???

Jean (Ikelite Staff) do you have any thoughts on this?

The battery door must be tightened enough to compress the o-ring for a good seal. I usually tighten until the door sits just barely below the body of the strobe.

It's impossible to gauge what each person considers "snug". But I would say the average adult male should not need to strain to secure it tightly enough. Really cranking down on it beyond the sealing point will end up cracking the strobe body where the post is attached (and flooding the strobe).

Having said all that, I think the level of the door is probably the best indicator of tightness. Clear as mud?

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom