Questions from a Not-so-good-Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norr

Reaction score
Hello All-
This is my first post here so I would like to set a few things up since I have read the past three pages on BC's and don't want to waste anyone's time, or Troll, or incite etc.
1) I have about 100 dives.
2) I have dove in N.E. (usa) Mexico, Aruba, Bora Bora, Hawaii
3) I have never taken dive safety seriously for which I am horribly ashamed- Started when I was in Highschool, and treated it like snorkeling... only cooler.

That being said, I am an avid diver and have committed to safety this season and every season forward. (I realize that it was stupid)

So that all being said I need some ans, for those who have not clicked away in disgust.

A: I mainly dive for Lobster now in Gloucester, Ma. I am looking to buy a BC. Tried to understand what all this talk about BP/wings vs. Jacket etc. and couldn't- just not enuff exp. I use my brothers stuff, check the air and over I go. (I am certified)
Looking for the best mid price range(200-300) bc for about 20 dives a summer as well as a first stage.

B:Ebay has sets for like 500$, are these any good?

C:Is it smart to buy used Equip?

Sorry for the long post,
Norr

OK....since no one else has responded...I'll take a shot at your questions Norr.
I think you'll find that the majority of the people in here would recommend that you find a good , local dive shop (LDS) and make your purchases there whether it be a BC or BP (I'm not going to get into THAT discussion!)
Buying on e-bay is kinda like buying used...you just don't know what you're getting. Again, your LDS will stand behind your purchase.
Talk to other divers, check the posts here...get the info you need.
Good luck and good diving.
Randy...

I am going to have to agree with weight_for_me because You have no Idea what you need or want. The only real way to get that is to speak with as many dive shops as possible about gear, take what they say and compare it to your needs/wishes. then purchase the best B.C. you can financialy afford. good luck

One nice thing about most LDSs is they will always have exactly what you need, even though they may all have different lines. And, if you don't hit the bait hard enough, they might offer a 10% discount to get you to bite. Advice from LDS is usually financially motivated so you should always ask yourself whose need are really being taken care of.

Do the research. Check out sources like RSD equipment ratings (www.scubadiving.com) and other diver, in person and online. They may not be entirely unbiased but any financial link is very weak.

When it comes to your first BC, I think used is the best way to go unless you are absolutely positive about your choices. You can check with your LDS for used BCs but, from a $$ and selection standpoint, I think you can generally do much better on e-bay. Perfectly adequate BCs, 5 to 10 years old (not the orange or blue ones) are readily available in the $50.00 to $100.00 range. Always a little risk of a problem that can be reduced by checking the seller's for high volume and good feedback. These guys are not being successful by swindling folks. (Too bad it isn't as easy to leave feedback on your LDS.)

I feel basically the same way about regulators but understand the apprehension most folks have about USED LIFE SUPPORT. I always start by researching RSD ratings, and Leisurepro and Diveinn prices. Then go shopping. As a general rule of thumb, you can usually find new moderate performance regs for about the same price as used high performance models. And sometimes you can stumble into some really great bargains on used kits. I don't mean the vintage stuff, but things like a Scubapro Mk10 with a G250 (or 200) - the high performance stuff of 10 years ago is every bit as good today. For example, it really hurt to pass this one up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3607831849&category=16056&rd=1

I know most LDS guy don't like to hear this kind of stuff so fire away. But recognize, many of the high volume scuba sellers on e-bay are LDS that have found a perfectly legitimate way to gain customers and improve their bottom line in today's scuba retailing world.

Back
Top Bottom