Time credit for turns in the pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recent took the 800 yard DM snorkel swim test in a 25 yard pool.

During the test, I had to stop, turn, and start up again 31 times. I noticed that it took a while to do this with fins.

At the end, I was surprised by my lengthy time.

When I discussed this with some other people, they mentioned that when they did the test and had to turn that they received a time credit for each turn.

Is this common practice?

If so, are there any suggestions on how to bring this up with my instructor?

Thanks.

Never heard of it. What is considered a "lengthy time"?

You could ask him but if it were me I would say no. Time credit for turns isn't in the standards.

R..

Nope,no credits for the turn times,you could try to make uderwater(forward rolls)turns.

Not heard of this either. I had the same and I think virtually everybody else does too....

If you think that was tough, wait until the 400m swim w/o mask/snorkel/fins. :eyebrow:

So you got a 2.
You'll get a 5 for the tread - almost everybody does.
You need 12 to pass, so 5 out of the 400m swim and the 100m tired diver tow combined.

Let's say you got a 2 in the 400m, you just need a 3 in the tired diver tow, which is doable - I found it the easiest of the 3 swims.

Hit the pool and get some practise in - you'll do it.......:D

I'm unaware of any PADI position on this. When I did mine, my instructor insisted we not push off from the wall on turns, since "there are no walls in the ocean". It made our times longer, but I passed, and there is nowhere on my card that says whether I passed with flying colors, or just barely passed. (I had points to spare.)

In jest, I lobbied for an altitude adjustment, as the military does on some of their physical fitness tests. My retired military instructor disallowed it.

I permit DM candidates to push off, since reversing direction slows them down, and I figure it balances out. I would not give any time credit, and have never heard of anyone doing so. If a student is unhappy with doing his swim or snorkel in a pool, he is welcome to take me to a larger body of water. I did my tired diver tow in a lake and had to contend with a mild wind-driven current.

My thinking is that if someone is on the cusp of not passing the watermanship tests, they should improve their skills. They aren't all that challenging.

I was wondering about the turns myself. Easy if you train as a swimmer. You'd think that you would get a credit for them as it is highly unlikely you will have to hit something and turn in open water while attempting a rescue.

My thinking is that if someone is on the cusp of not passing the watermanship tests, they should improve their skills. They aren't all that challenging.

I agree. I am a semi regular runner - 10km 2-3 times/week, so i am reasonably fit.

I found out running fitness does not = great swimming times>>> technique sensitive.

I did manage 15 points, though, without any swimming practise.

Do a flip turn or an open turn. Don't stop. N

Back
Top Bottom