How do you help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was just asked the other day if I would install a couple of grates in our local YMCA pool. Of course I said yes; any reason to get under, you know. I did a couple other jobs on their drains a while back. I did not charge for my services. Here's my question:

Not counting volunteer search and recovery jobs for law enforcement agencies, what have you done with your diving skills and equipment just to help someone out?

I was just asked the other day if I would install a couple of grates in our local YMCA pool. Of course I said yes; any reason to get under, you know. I did a couple other jobs on their drains a while back. I did not charge for my services. Here's my question:

Not counting volunteer search and recovery jobs for law enforcement agencies, what have you done with your diving skills and equipment just to help someone out?

I have recovered things for people under piers or unhooked lines for people fishing. I also once did a dive to recover a cover that had fallen off my buddy's yacht. We never found it though, viz was zero and I couldn't see my compass to navigate so really struggled to do a logical search pattern. There are techniques for searching for things in low viz diving, but I don't know them :) We are planning to go back for another go sometime.

Always happy to do dives like this, any excuse to have a dive.

cut down a couple of skinny trees with a pruning saw - thought it was gonna kill me !

Well, just last Saturday, we searched for a fellow's lost prescription glasses in the Comal River (Texas) Found em'! (well, one of our party did, anyway)
Searched for and found lost bridgework...tough find!
REEF surveys.
Out of the water, give talks and seminars to teachers, students, dive clubs, church groups, Boy and Girls Scout groups, and just about anyone who will listen concerning about diving, the ocean, and other related topics.

I've been working with the ARSBC (Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia) on the newest dive site that they'll be putting down later this year (HMCS Annapolis ... a 365 foot destroyer). A week and a half ago we did a bottom survey of the area where they'll be sinking her.

Since September I've also been up there a few times to help strip her of all the potentially hazardous materials that they either want to keep out of the water or removed for safety reasons. That's not diving (and in fact, it's hard work) but it's done for the purpose of diving.

And it's gonna help all the divers who'll eventually visit this ship ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been working with the ARSBC (Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia) on the newest dive site that they'll be putting down later this year (HMCS Annapolis ... a 365 foot destroyer). A week and a half ago we did a bottom survey of the area where they'll be sinking her.

Since September I've also been up there a few times to help strip her of all the potentially hazardous materials that they either want to keep out of the water or removed for safety reasons. That's not diving (and in fact, it's hard work) but it's done for the purpose of diving.

And it's gonna help all the divers who'll eventually visit this ship ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thats cool.

This is a great thread.

Undoing line off a river boat propeller, installing fishway booms, finding someones keys, lake and quarry debris cleanup.

A few months back, I got involved in a situation where a young man had lost an heirloom fishing reel off a pier, into an area that is restricted from diving. A friend contacted the appropriate agencies and got permission to close the fishing pier for one hour for a diver search. A dozen of us spent an hour in the water, searching. We found the pole, but the reel was gone.

However, the whole thing ended up on TV, and the person who had taken the reel ended up returning it to the owner, so there was a happy ending after all.

It was a fun thing to be part of.

Greetings Barracuda, I to have helped with some pool maintenance and it was not only fun but was good practice working with tools underwater. It has given me several ideas about carrying tools, parts, etc.
Last month we recovered a ATV that had went through the ice on Feb. friday the 13th!
No joke, it was almost a month in the water and was running in less than 24 hours after we recovered it. HONDA need I say more!
I learned tons from this experience and was the first real use of a lift bags other than training for me. Probably the single most profitable endeavor with scuba I have under taken. It is obvious recovery skills are not only helpful but can be profitable as well.
We have looked for rings, watches, found wallets, and even a tackle box that had a fishing license from 1968. Then we realized the mans age at the time was 78. He had already expired.
We have dove off public beaches and it has become a practice of mine to look for beach toys and bring them back to the kids on the shore. They really love it when you tell them where you found it! You can see the future diving in their eyes!
If there is a reason to splash it is awesome! It helps define a dive plan and provide a focus, goal to achieve. The brain storming and preparation work is priceless experience that goes with the territory.
Good luck fellow SB'ers and get involved with your local scene. You really never know what you could find!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom