Pony bottle regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I should of been clearer on my question. Is the regulator i'm considering a good regulator to use in cold water and has anyone had experience with that reg.

Bowler: If you're dive profile is correct, I personally think thinking about deco dives at < 50 dives total is way too soon (by say 100 dives or so :) ). There are so many skills to perfect first.

Just my $0.02.

XTX 40 is a perfectly good cold water regulator (assuming you have it on a modern first stage). In fact its an excellent regulator.

Deco diving is a whole 'nother ball game, 'specially using deco mixes...specialized training, equipment, etc, in order to be able to safely use the higher O2 mixes. Really easy to get in over your head, so to speak.

However (if this helps), I purchased an AL40 and a deco reg way before I took the Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures class. I used it as a pony bottle (filled with O2 clean air) until I took the class, then it graduated into use as a deco bottle (filled with O2 instead).

It looks like a reasonable deco/backup air tank to me! The reg is fine for cold water diving based on what I HAVE READ, as I don't dive one.

Your a bit new for deco. I hope you plan on gaining experience before taking advanced Nitrox, and deco...

This is really a regulator question, rather than a pony or deco bottle question. Topic is very misleading :)

Your comments are appreciated.

Why not ask your question over in the regulators forum? While you may only be interested in the question of how well the regulator performs in cold water, this forum is for questions about basic scuba topics of interest to people like myself (only 53 dives so far) who are not experienced enough to penetrate wrecks or executed planned deco (much less carry a deco bottle and dive gas-switching profiles).

As such, comments questioning the amount of experience you need may be on-topic here even if they aren't 100% useful to you personally. That's because a lot of other people will read this thread and they stand to benefit from understanding that deco is a very tricky subject.

JM2C, and enjoy your diving!

It always amazes me that some posters are always recommending that a diver not attempt to do this or that because "they" think that the person doesn't have enough experience to do it safely. I dive with a fellow who, when I met him, had about 50 dives in his log, all cave and wreck penetration dives. So who are you all to tell a person that they aren't qualified to do deco diving unless you are comparing his qualifications to your own? Maybe this guy is a little faster on the draw than most of you who make these statements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom