How to pick a second regulator system when going doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redstrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I'm upgrading my gear to double tanks this season. Currently using Scubapro's MK25/S600 reg system (which I really like). Since I need to purchase an additional reg system I'm looking for some input, specifically:

What are the advantages or disadvantages (if any) using the same / different reg systems.

Since the second reg system would (in part) function as the octo I was thinking of saving a few bucks by opting for a cheaper second stage reg ---good/bad idea or perhaps irrelevant?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm upgrading my gear to double tanks this season. Currently using Scubapro's MK25/S600 reg system (which I really like). Since I need to purchase an additional reg system I'm looking for some input, specifically:

Congratulations. The Mk25 is an excellent first stage. The S600 seems excellent as well.

What are the advantages or disadvantages (if any) using the same / different reg systems.

Well, assuming you will service both regs at the same time, it's probably nice to be able to take them to the same service facility. And it would be nice to be able to buy some spares that would fit both units (o-rings and the like)

Since the second reg system would (in part) function as the octo I was thinking of saving a few bucks by opting for a cheaper second stage reg ---good/bad idea or perhaps irrelevant?

There is no "octo" on a doubles set. In an OOA scenario, the reg you've been breathing all dive is donated to the OOA diver. The reg around your neck, your backup, now becomes YOUR reg. And it's yours in what is a high stress scenario. So the question is, what do YOU want to be sucking on in that scenario? A reg you saved a few bucks on, or something that is going to deliver when you need it most?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hope my ideas are helpful to you.

There's no real reason to use the same reg on your left post, but as pointed out if it's another SP it may or may not simplify service for you. In terms of matching internals like o-rings, that will only apply if you're talking about o-rings you can replace without taking the reg apart like hose o-rings, or if you are the one doing the service.

You do definitely want the 2nd stage to be high enough quality so you'll be comfortable trusting it in an emergency.

So, assuming you want to stay with SP, you could get another MK25/S600, or you might try something really good but different, like a MK17/G250V, and then you can experiment a little. You may end up preferring the G250V and putting that one on your long hose. If it were me, I'd probably look for something used; there are lots of MK20s and MK25s out there with either G250, G500, or S600 2nd stages.

I have a pair of Mk 17 G250V regs. My stage and deco regs are G250's, so all my second stages take the same parts kits, which does come in handy.

The S600, G250, G250HP, G250, G500, S555, G200B, and Balanced Adjustable all take the same basic poppet and annual service kit so you have a lot of lattitude in terms of second stages. All of the above are balanced and offer more than enough performance for technical diving and will provide inhalation efforts comparable too or better than the S600.

The most important issue is that the back up regulator offer performance equal to the primary regulator. As stated above, having them be similar and use the same parts makes the logistics simpler. Having regs of equal performance also allows you to switch the primary and back up mid season to even out the number of breathing cycles they both experience.

It makes it a whole lot easier to service if all of your regs are the same, including deco regs.

Quite a few people only trust themselves to service their regs, and you might eventually fall into that camp. Once you get there, buying one or two service kits makes life easier.

Thanks for the input. I seems to make sense to stick with a similar setup or at least from the same manufacturer from a service standpoint, while keeping the quality level of your gear consistent.

I was leaning towards getting a used Mk25/S600 reg combo. Would be interested to hear your take on buying used versus buying from a leisurepro (or other non-licensed dealer). I read the reasons on Scubapro's website why not to buy products fom these retailers, but when buying used stuff there's no guarantee that the equipment was purchased in a licensed scuba shop in the first place (unless they can provide you with a receipt). Not sure how important the "limited lifetime warranty" is (or what it means for that matter).

I have 5 Apeks regs. They were all bought from Ebay or diving boards. Prices were around half the LDS cost. So I dont have a warranty. Big Deal!! I'll check the IP and adjust the cracking pressure as needed. When they need a full service I will get the kits online. Hasn't happened yet though!

I use Mk25/S600s for my doubles backgas. That bottom LP port allows some great hose routing options. I also use Mk25s for deco and stage regs, though only one has an S600.

I'm all for buying used.

I have bought quite a few regs used, including some mk10s and mk2s. I also have some SP Mk20/25s + S600s that I have kept the warranty active with annual service for the past 8 years. Its only really come in handy when 1) the inlet tubes cracked and 2) one body got warped.

Assuming you are not going a "deep air" route almost any 2nd stage regulator (simple nonbalanced like an R190 even) will be fine on your backup. I have a R380 backup and while its probably the worst breathing SP 2nd ever made its totally fine with helium mixes. The S600 or G250 line will also be fine, although you may need to crank down the adjustment knob to avoid freeflowing around your neck.

Of all the regs I've purchased (8 total, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the other guys replying here), all were used. All were inspected, and none have had any problems. I wouldn't hesitate one second to go the used route, it'll often save you at least 50% off, which is real money in this sinkhole of a hobby.

I also dive Mk25/S600s, they're great regs, and you'd be well served to double them up (or get another Mk25 and a G250, as has been said before)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom