Thistlegorm Dive Center Reccomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitros155

New
Reaction score
Please provide some reccomendations for which dive center to choose for a dive of the Thistlegorm. What are the basic schedules like? I have heard of some that leave at night, and you sleep on the boat and dive in the morning?? I am looking for something that would take no more than a day and a half. I am AOW certified. Kindly advise.

IMHO the best way to dive the Thistlegorm is from a liveaboard. The day boats RSS mentions may depart at a more or less unholy time but all have to be back in the harbour by 4 PM which leaves little room for a safe surface interval between the dives. Also, with a liveaboard you will be on the wreck long before the dayboats arrive and with some luck have it to yourself. A stark difference with the crowding later on, and safer too. Anyway, book nitrox tanks if you have the certification.

Hi there Nitros!

Nice to hear that you're planning to come to the Red Sea. Thistlegorm is a wicked wreck and just as Red Sea Shadow says you can do it from Sharm with speed boat or as Arthurt says from liveaboard. There are alternatives though. Most people think that it's closer to Thistlegorm from Sharm El Sheikh than from Hurghada. Now, the wreck is closer to the Sinai side but the distance and traveltime is about the same. There used to be a differense also in accessabillity windy days since from Hurghada we have to cross the gulf of Suez. This was in the days when I came out to Egypt and the daily boats were much smaller than today. Nowdays we can cross almost any day.

The excursion can be made over day or on liveaboard but for some one who doesnt want to stay a whole week on the boat a "Mini-Safari" during three days and two nights can be a good alternative. Then you can also get to do the wreck of Rosalie Moller (which in my opinion is far better than Thistlegorm) and the wrecks around Shaab Abu Nuhas: Ghiannis D, Carnatic, Chrisoula K and Kimon M. You can also visit the wreck of Ulyssess or the Barge at Bluff Point. All of those that lies in the Gubal Area on the west side of the gulf. If you want you can check my website WELCOME TO AZIAB where you find some wreck info and other Red Sea stuff.

Anyway if you have any more questions you are more than welcome to either PM me or email me.

Hope you'll have a great trip!
...a...

We recently did Thistlegorm as part of a Liveaboard Safari, one of the BIG advantages of being there for the 18 or so hours was that we did 3 dives, each dive was at the turn of the tide (Hardly any current). This made the dives (including 1 night dive) very easy and relaxed. The daily boats obviously did not have that luxury and had to dive with some moderate current.

Thistlegorm is amazing and 3 dives are the minimum I would recommend in order to see more of it.

Thanks for this info!

Can you provide any links for recomended liveaboard? What are the cost estimates for these liveaboards? I have not been able to find any websites that have cost, duration, etc explicitly listed.

My fiance who is traveling with me is not a diver, so I am cautious to jump on a boat for 3 days, and have her be bored out of her mind. I guess idealy I am looking to do 3 dives, over not more than 2 days. Also, I will have have my nitrox certification before the trip.

Please help!

I had some offline communications with Samaka (above) about what he does out of Hurghada, perhaps you should speak to him about requirements that are as specific as those you mention.

The liveaboard that I do is one week 20 Dives and lots of fun. This might be (very) boring for a non-diver.

The company I use is called Emperor Divers, Red Sea Diving with Emperor - dive resorts, liveaboards and PADI courses they have all the details on their website. Also, they have superb email support and are quick to respond to specific requests.

I would recommend you try both Emperor and Samaka and see what they can offer you.

The other option is to go on a one week liveaboard and leave your fiance on the beach at the hotel with your Credit Card..... He He

Best Regards

Richard

We dived the Thistlegorm in February, we were diving for a week with Emperor Divers in Sharm. But for the Thistlegorm they sent us with wreck adventures who`s boats were twice as fast as what we were on all week. I would have a look at Wreck Adventures.

Hey, did the Sinai Mini Cruise on the King Snefro 5 back in in December, good food and a cool crew, the captain is Nubian and likes to smoke his sheisha (nothing illegal) & does share.

The DM was Basam or something like that, he is a good guy, I gave him my spare hood as he didn't have one and isn't the richest guy in Egypt.

The photo of the boat makes it look small but it isn't, so don't worry about that. I couldn't sleep none night so I crashed on the deck under the stars, now that was cool... except the the flags flapping, maybe I should have asked the crew to stow it, oh well, maybe next time.

Word of advice, grab a 15 liter tank for the Thistlegorm dive.

Red Sea Liveaboard M/Y King Snefro 5 - Schedule

Back
Top Bottom