Coron Reefs; New tourism development announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

World Wide Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Davao, but like General Santos and Davao Oriental
# of dives
Has anybody else seen this article regarding a major tourism development in Coron?

Coron islet to be next Asian tourism jewel - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

Be interested to know what people's opinions are. When we were there, we found that the reefs were in gererally very poor state that we dived on - desolate of fish.

However, we did spend much of our time diving the wrecks there which had excellent coral growth/marine life (though viz can be an issue due to the pearl farms which also protect the areas around many of the wrecks).

That said, this is the PI's and life can easily come back here if an area has good protection for a few years.

We think that this might be a important move towards establishing the PI's as THE major SE Asian destination for tourists from a mid-high/high-end bracket to the PI's in the next few years.

Sounds very interesting and I am sure that it will be an expensive place to stay and do anything, I hope that they can sort out the marine area in order to make the diving worth while as I am sure it will be out of the price range for most humans!

Hope it doesn't end up like Sipadan... the whole area is overbuilt. Reports say there are lots of issues with things like garbage and sewage there. 1500 tourists sounds like a lot! Pull in all the people to support it.... Money starts being made, then other developers come in... I just hope they have a long term plan to handle all that.

Glad I'll be diving there in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom