Reef sticks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mofongo_max

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used these before? Would any old stainless steel rod do?

I've seen them also called lobster ticklers or muck sticks. It's basically a metal stick used for stabilization. While I'm beginning to get the hang of controlling my buoyancy, I still find myself bumping into reef unintentionally. Instead of putting my hand out to prevent from crashing, these little sticks look like they could limit the amount of surface area I could disturb.

And no, I don't intend on poking at sea life with it. :)

seems like a solution to a problem that can be controlled with more time spent in the water over the sand . . . or in a pool

Some divers use them, I’m not a fan of them. Buy ya, it's just a stick and pretty much anything will work. After you use one a few times, chances are you will find them more a nuisance than a value.

PLEASE if you decide to use one do NOT put it on a lanyard and drag it everywhere getting it wedged and stuck in the coral and outcroppings. Also please don't use them to jab at wildlife that's hiding in crevices....

Yes, these things have been witnessed multiple times by me. I about used my knife to cut one free when it got caught in a large elk coral head and the idiot diver just kept trying to swim and pull it free. Fortunately for her, another diver beat me to it and lifted the stick out....especially since my knife was already in my hand.

How bout stay further back from the coral until the buoyancy skills improve? Any contact is unnecessary and harmful.

Common theme - keep your distance until the bouyancy improves. It will come but just be patient. The stick will only encourage bad habits - and it's only fun until someone loses an eye.

I've seen metal reef hooks used in Cozumel and they can be useful in the current, especially when taking pictures. They must have brought them in checked baggage.

It's probably as safe for the reef as holding yourself with your fingers. And like any tool it can do good or harm, depending how it's used.

Adam

I met a videographer in Bonaire who was a very good diver, but still relied heavily on one of these sticks to get a lot of his shots. I doubt he even needed it for most of the video he took, but he used it anyway. I can see where it would help with some really close in stuff. He shot a lot of macro.

Tom

As others have said, the best solution is to stay away from the reef until you have better control. When you accidentally get too close, use your bare finger on bare rock. Your finger has more give than the stick and won't damage the reef as bad. Also, you won't have an extra piece of gear.

It is better to use your finger on bare rock to gently nudge yourself away as opposed to kicking. I don't know how many times I have seen sponges killed after someone kicked away from the reef in a panic when a little nudge would have done the trick.

Back
Top Bottom