used tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not one to buy much used equipment, but was wondering what everyones feelings were on used tanks, doesn't seem like theres a lot that can go wrong with them right? Would you be pretty safe purchasing say a used steel 80? would there be anything to check for other than the hydro stamp? thanks, james

I'm not one to buy much used equipment, but was wondering what everyones feelings were on used tanks, doesn't seem like theres a lot that can go wrong with them right? Would you be pretty safe purchasing say a used steel 80? would there be anything to check for other than the hydro stamp? thanks, james

1. Hydro is due every 5 years. The last hydro date is stamped on the tank in month/year. Unless you live in FL or have a hydro facility nearby, don't get a tank that needs a hydro soon unless that is factored into the price of the cylinder. If the hydro is due real soon or is overdue, the sale should be contingent on passing hydro.

2. Regardless of the last visual inspection date, the sale should be contingent on a successful pass on a new visual inspection conducted by someone that the buyer knows and trusts.

3. For aluminum cylinders, know the aluminum alloy. Avoid all 6351 cylinders unless you can get annual eddy current testing easily and locally.

Stay away from aluminum tanks that are pre-1990. They may be fine but the LDS BS level is getting real high. Also, you may not want to deal with an old steel tank with the pipe thread valves. Nothing basicly wrong with them, just LDS BS about removing the valve.

If you are getting any used tank, insist on haveing the valve removed and having a look at it. If you see a lot of red rust (steel) or white corrosion (aluminum) make the sale contingent of cleaning/whip/tumble and if they are out of Hydro passig hydro.

The above is all contingent on price, I have picked up steel 72's and aluminum tanks for as little as $10-15 each. For that price, I will take a chance without looking inside as long as the outside looks clean. Cheapest I ever got was free at a tag sale at the end of the day and one I pulled from the metal scrap pile at the local waste transfer station (it still had 1,000 psi in it).

What are they worth? A newer clean 72 or aluminum 80 tank in hydro I'd go for about $50-75 and dicker from there. Check Ebay for the value of other tanks

As for age, well I just hydroed a 1960 made steel 72 that I got for $20. No problems and they gave it a "+" rate.

Make the purchase contigent on a new hydro and vis inspection and make sure the tank is not vinyl coated with bubbles or rust under the vinyl.

You don't know the history of the tank. Has a steel tank been overfilled a lot like they do in cave country and Europe that could weaken the tank over the long run (reason for a recent hydro). Has an aluminum tank taken a fall against the rocks creating a weak spot. Are the threads sound and have no sign of fatigue. Is the elasticity of the tank sound.

I bought a used tank here in Southington CT from a shop that another shop refused to fill because it was vinyl and was peeling although the shop vised it for me before purchase and said it was safe. To show no hurt feelings, the Southington shop traded the tank back in for a 72CF Faber Steel for $330 that I still have 8 years later.

I think a used tank will serve you well with a recent hydro and vis inspection. Im partial to the galvanized steel 72's used or Fabers.

Back
Top Bottom