Puerto Galera/Sabang report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

just came back from Sabang after many long hours trapped in a plane.

It was fantastic. We were at Sabang diving with the Frontier Scuba gang. They are very cool and it was very relax. Nice setting and boats.

We went to Verde Island twice. It was like in the movies. That was my idea of diving in hot water. We went to the mandarinfish. Very colourful little guys.

I saw Nemo, his cousins and all his friends, especially Dory at Kilima steps.

And remember everyone: Don't touch the Lionfish!

It's a nice change from diving in Quebec, isn't it? Glad you had fun!:coffee:

Glad you had a good time... and yes, I suspect it is a nice change of pace from Quebec this time of year :wink: I went diving at Osezaki on Saturday in a drysuit, in 13C.... I'm looking forward to getting back into a wetsuit and a little warmth myself :D

Hello,

just came back from Sabang after many long hours trapped in a plane.

It was fantastic.

Just back from PG a few days ago as well. Some of the best diving ever. Did not do Verde (not my sort of diving) but stayed around the muckie bits. We saw a good half dozen different frog fish of all sizes (down to one about the size of a peanut!) and colours (black, white, brown, orange), pygmie seahorses at (I think) 3 different sites, one of my dive buddies lucked into a blue ringed octopus, wasp fish, more nudibranchs than you could shake a stick at, cuttlefish, octopii, a pygmy cuttlefish (cool!), Indian walkman, mantis shrimp, dragonets, snake eels, ghost pipe fish, pipefish in addition to the normal motlet crew of morays, shrimp, sweetlips - well, plus plus plus.

Absolutely worth it.

Definately would NOT recommend the dive operation we were with, which, besides stinging us on the dive price, and failing to deliver on certain promised services (such as early morning dives) also had several standard practices that I would put into the "hazardous" category. Dunno if naming and shaming is allowed here, but I would avoid "Diving with XXXX" in PG fer sure.

Just back from PG a few days ago as well. Some of the best diving ever. Did not do Verde (not my sort of diving) but stayed around the muckie bits. We saw a good half dozen different frog fish of all sizes (down to one about the size of a peanut!) and colours (black, white, brown, orange), pygmie seahorses at (I think) 3 different sites, one of my dive buddies lucked into a blue ringed octopus, wasp fish, more nudibranchs than you could shake a stick at, cuttlefish, octopii, a pygmy cuttlefish (cool!), Indian walkman, mantis shrimp, dragonets, snake eels, ghost pipe fish, pipefish in addition to the normal motlet crew of morays, shrimp, sweetlips - well, plus plus plus.

Absolutely worth it.

Definately would NOT recommend the dive operation we were with, which, besides stinging us on the dive price, and failing to deliver on certain promised services (such as early morning dives) also had several standard practices that I would put into the "hazardous" category. Dunno if naming and shaming is allowed here, but I would avoid "Diving with XXXX" in PG fer sure.
you can name em in the Barangay Pasaway sub-forum, Josh....

yes please name them. The whole point of internet forums is free access to information.

Your experience, when presented in a critically constructive manner, will assist others in choosing a dive operation. When you mention standard practices that are hazardous, your information might save someone's life in the future.

Unless you have an axe to grind, which any forum user can judge from your previous posts, there is no harm in posting what you experienced.

Yes, if constructively done (not vindictive), criticism is good for us divers. And it's the operators own problem is they aren't doing what is necessary to get or keep a good reputation!

Too bad for them!:shakehead:

please name them. would hate to be in PG and end up finding out which dive op for myself the hard way.

please name them. would hate to be in PG and end up finding out which dive op for myself the hard way.

OK, I notice the Sb-forum as suggested is a members forum, which kinda contradicts the "free access to information" said, so I will put here, and can delete if there is strong feelings.

The company we used was "Diving with Chot". My travel companion had had some emails with them, and they seemed to suit our needs, a small company, with a reasonable "unlimited diving package". Associated with a small hotel (Sabang Inn) - with whom we had no problems..

Problems would be in three categories: financial, ettiquette and safety. Our group started as an Instructor (me) and a divemaster (my buddy) and later were joined by an advanced diver (details below) and another instructor (a friend). All highly experienced divers.

Financial
This is more "irritation" than anything else. Firstly they miscounted the number of dives we did. My friend was a ble to proove (computer and log book) that they had miscounted and got the correct count. Even though the shop knew I had done the same number of dives as my buddy, they would not change my count as I do not keep a log book, and my computer had died half way through the trip (actually, I killed two computers, and had to borrow my buddies spare - another story!).

Although we had asked them to prepare the bill the day before we were to leave, they only got it together two hours before we were leaving on the boat, and after we settled (sorting out the number of dives took most of that time), we reflected on the total price which seemed n the high side. We later found out (and confirmed) that the shop has retroactively cancelled the unlimited package we had agreed and charged us per dive dive (30, if I recall correctly) as "fun dives". We overpaid by some 150 to 200 US each.

Ettiquette
The divemaster guide who accompanied us on the majority of the dives had a camera, which he took most times on the dives (this also had safety issues - see later). I think you can imagine the irritation of 2 or 3 divers with cameras (my dive buddy is a SERIOUS photographer) waiting in front of a gorgonian sea fan with pigmy seahorses (which he had led us to on request) while the bloody divemaster spends 5 minutes taking snaps while we wait to get a look in!! Several of my (poor effort) photographs have the divemasters camera in them as we "fought" to get close to stuff. Sorry, but when you lead a group with three photographers, one of whom has a Nikon D200 (not me!) leave your farking camera in the shop.

Safety
1. In assigning dive groups, one of the shop staff told an advanced diver on his first dive with the shop to "go hang with those guys" (me and my buddy) during the dive (this was in my earshot, but not with me in the conversation). he then came over and said to me "that diver will hang with you". My buddy was not informed by the shop there would be a third diver in our group, and, am not sure how others assign their dive buddy teams, but I personally don't do it by "you hang with them". Secondly, he assigned an unknown diver to dive with a group consisting of a divemaster and an instructor. Fortunately, the guy turned out to be an excellent diver, and we adopted him into our group for the remaining dives.

2. On one dive though, the dive master guide and the advanced diver were together at the start of the dive (it was one dive I sat out, sick). The divemaster guides camera flooded at depth (there is a shame), and so he left the advanced diver on his own at depth to go back to the boat to take care of his camera. Advanced diver managed to find my buddy and another instructor who were diving as a pair. I have never heard of it being appropriate for a divemaster guide to leave a diver alone at depth. The guide apparently did not enter the water again after taking care of his camera.

3. Entry. I hate back roll enterys. I can do them, but think, as practised in many places (particularly in PG) they are an accident waiting to happen. Indeed in a previous trip, a member of our group took a massive crack on the skull from a later entering diver. One of my abiding images is just as you splash into the water you catch sight of the edge of the boat to see a diver still sitting there! So, the diveguides routine on each and every time was the same: He would say "ready, one two three go". Unfortunately, not one time would he look to see if divers WERE ready. He went, and on three occasions, divers were left sitting on the edge of the boat. one time on my side, and the boat boy had to leap across and grab a diver who was just about to back roll on top of me.

4. Descent. Again, diveguide would say, ready - go. And descend WITHOUT looking to see if anyone was ready!! Every dive. Every time. Every single time we dived with this guide (maybe 25/30 dives) he would descend without bloody checking. On one occasion when he said ready I shouted NO!!. To see him descend anyway. Three photographers can take a couple of minutes after the entry to get things together before descent. other divers not in our group (open water etc) were also left on the surface to sort themselves out.

OK. Those safety issues WERE discussed with the shop owner (Chot). The phrase water off a ducks back leap to mind while I was talking to him.

Lastly, the good side: No time limit on dives. Tank "boy" and boat "boys" were excellent.

No axe. But won't dive with them again. As my dive buddy and I are very experienced divers (he was hitting his 900+ dives while there), all we really need is the tank fills and delivery to the dive site. But others may not be so confident, and it is my opinion that thier dive practices WILL lead to a serious accident one day. So no, I will NOT be "Diving with Chot" again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom