Inexperienced vacation divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwaterjon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't really done much vacatation diving so I was wondering what is typically done with inexperienced divers (i.e. PADI OW + maybe two dives) when they show up at a dive shop hoping to be brought out for a dive? The reason I ask is that I'll be heading off to the Mayan Riviera with a large group of friends and of the group I'm the only one that has any bit of experience(AOW + only 60 dives). I personally wouldn't feel comfortable diving with any of the group but they seem intent on going out.

It sounds like dive shops have to deal with such divers all too often so how is this typically handled?

Thanks for the info/advice.

Just be up front with the dive shop and let them know the group is inexperienced. You may need to chip in and hire a guide (usually a DM).

What I have seen is that, if the shop knows that there are a lot of inexperienced divers on the boat, they'll choose shallower and simpler sites, and assign divers in small groups to guides.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable diving with any of the group but they seem intent on going out.

Everybody has to begin their experience somewhere! We were all, at some time, doing our first dives post certification. If these folks had any kind of decent training (and I realize that's questionable) then diving into the warm, clear water of the Riviera Maya is a great place to gain some underwater "miles".

I think that it's pretty much automatic that the majority of Mexican diving includes a DM. Like Bratface says, let them know about your experience. As far as the rest of your group they should do the same. You won't be able to save them all.

I can only throw my lot in with what has already been said. When you are arranging your charter with the shop, tell them specifically (and for emphasis, repeat it) that practically all of the group's members are newbies. The dive charter will then select less challenging dives and assign more divemasters to the group. And by the way...just because the dives might be shallower with less current doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose anything, either. Depending upon where you are going along the Riviera Maya, there are an abundance of low-stress dives that are terrific in terms of species and things to see.
Hope it works out for you. Give us a report when you get back.

Hi - I wanted to say that one of my most memorable dives was a very easy dive off the beach of the resort I was staying at in the Mayan Riv. We went out and dropped down to about 40 feet, water was crystal clear and warm. Towards the end of the dive we came upon a school of about 100 huge tarpon. They were in a school, hanging out watching us. As they came into view it was like seeing a large group of huge torpedos appear out of the rich royal blue distance. They were gathered tight together and just hung there as we moved past and began our ascent. It was breathtaking for me to see as there were so many of them and they were so large. We also saw about 12 large turtles on this dive. This was an easy dive, off a boat, very close to the beach. Good luck on your trip, I wish I was going with you.

Tom

At that location they get a lot of casual divers and should be prepared for novices. Make sure the operation is a good one and not just an operation that is full time banana boats and jet skis and part time diving. And watch out for the current. Like Cozumel you will encounter mostly drift diving.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll have to research dive shops in the area before hand. Whichever one I decide on, I'll make sure they know full well what level of experience my group has.

I think the word "stoked" aptly describes my feelings about having a chance to do some diving in in the Mayan Riviera. It'll be a warm break from diving in B.C.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable diving with any of the group but they seem intent on going out.

It kinda makes you wonder who was saying that about you when you only had a few dives under your belt. Not trying to bust your chops as much as give you a different perspective and as TSandM eluded to, everyone has to start somewhere and dive operations know how to deal with new divers.

Maybe arrange a get together, warm-up dive at a local pool. That way everyone gets the chance to get wet, practice some skills, and get a bit more comfortable in the water, before heading down south.

Heck.. make it into a a party type event... Meet up early afternoon for some practice dives, then off to someones house for a BBQ after the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom