Losters and Crabs Feel Pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfessorAronnax

Contributor
Reaction score
And so do humans for that matter (my thumb having been on the receiving end of a scissor claw)

Here's the story: Lobsters and crabs feel pain, study shows

They go on to ask if people should stop eating lobster and crab because of this study.
Pretty goofy-I mean don't fish, cows, pigs an pretty much any animal we eat, feel pain?

In my professional opinion any creature with a central nervous system feels some form of pain. It is nature's warning signal and promotes self preservation. Am I a vegetarian? No.

I believe a study also determined that a radish could feel pain...

I feel a sharp pain everytime an animal rights activist breathes,they should stop in consideration:lotsalove:.

Aquaviolator:
I believe a study also determined that a radish could feel pain...

Once upon a time, there was a family of radishes living on the south side of the highway. As time when by, papa radish started to feel unfulfilled on the south side of the road, so he pulled up his roots, eased over to the edge to the road, looked to the left, looked to the right and zipped across the road where he eased his roots back down into the dirt. He loved it on the north side of the road.

Well, mama radish didn't like being away from papa radish, so she pulled up his roots, eased over to the edge to the road, looked to the left, looked to the right and hurried across the road where she eased his roots back down into the dirt next to papa radish. She loved it on the north side of the road with papa radish.

As you might well imagine, baby radish didn't like being all alone, so he pulled up his roots and rushed to cross the road. Unfortunately, he was hit by a truck.

At the hospital, mama and papa radish were worried sick over the injury to their son. They were pacing for hours when a doctor came out to talk to them. "Your son is going to live, but...

...he's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life."

All animals (in order to survive) react to stimuli. Something we learned in middle school. The subject of whether the crustacean feels pain on the same level as mammals, or humans wasn't answered, and will probably never be answered. To extrapolate and say you shouldn't eat these guys, or extend new laws regarding ethical treatment would require a lot more data than shocking the shell of a hermit crab with some minor voltage. Heck, as a kid I could tell that shell-trading hermit crabs were sensitive there without electricity. The unquantified kicker here, and probably quoted by Discovery out of context is: "left their old shells and entered the new ones, showing stress-related behaviors like grooming of the abdomen or rapping of the abdomen against the empty shell. Grooming, as for a person licking a burnt finger, "is a protective motor reaction and viewed as a sign of pain in vertebrates," the researchers wrote.

On a side note I did stop eating American lobster after having kept one fellow alive for 3 years in a 50 gallon CW salt system. He was used to educate kids about NE crustaceans and as a result of observing him closely I developed a appreciation for Homarus. That being said I am happy to eat Dungeness crabs, spiny lobster and shrimp. :)

X

Physical reaction to pain is not conscious awareness of pain.

I'm not too worried when I drop that live lobster into the boiling water and it sounds like he's (she's) screaming anymore than I am when the melting butter begins to sizzle.

I will personally take all of the lobster and care for them so that they dont get hurt,, I have a very big pot they can stay in.... I will give them each a butter rub down after they're done with the hot tub....

Back
Top Bottom