How do you survey a new dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Suppose you're going to dive a virgin site you know nothing about. Depth, topography, conditions, hazards... all completely unknown.

What would you do?

R..

a dozen or more dives.Or just one when it sucks.:)

Suppose you're going to dive a virgin site you know nothing about. Depth, topography, conditions, hazards... all completely unknown.

What would you do?

R..

If I didn't know anything about it I probably would have no reason to dive it.
I don't dive unknowns...that's asking for a "mother nature spanking".

U/O

What would you do?

R..

Well, that depends largely on what type of site it is. Cave, ocean, lake, etc.

Is it a shore dive or a boat dive?

In order to give a specific answer, a little more information about the "virgin" site is needed.

Going on the assumption that it's ocean or lake, and that it would be dove by boat, the first thing I'd do would be try to determine depth, with either a depth finder, or sounding with a weighted shot line.

Once depth is known, then a better plan can be done regarding bottom mix (air, nitrox, trimix) and anticipated bottom time.

I would plan to dive it with a buddy, with another buddy team on the boat. First dive would likely be a short exploration from wherever we anchored at to get in idea on viz, current, topography, natural features etc. and whether further exploration is warranted.

Dive plan would include alternate runtimes and deco schedules (as determined by depth) as well as emergency contingincies (shooting lift bag, etc).

*edit*: I would also try to interview some locals. Chances are if there is anything decent to dive, somebody has fished it or knows something about it.

Depth, tidal range then slack water.

Once those are known a sensible dive plan can be made. Without that you cant.

Echo sounder can give you an idea of layout (if its a wreck, boulder field, flat and so on) and also an estimate of the size of the area worth diving.

Other than that the best way is to just get in and dive it. No substitute for human eyes there.

We did this at a local park, where I couldn't find any information that anyone had ever dived it.

I looked at charts to determine likely depth and bottom contour. I looked at current charts to try to plan for slack. I reconnoitered the parking and water access by car. And then we took scooters as insurance against unexpected current, and to allow us to cover more ground in surveying the bottom.

We found a silt slope covered in starfish and sea pens. But it was still fun.

No need to reinvent the wheel, look if the gov't has done soundings in the area. NOAA in the U.S. has done a lot of the coastal waters and it's almost always free to access, or at minimal costs for paper copies.

Boat diving or shore diving? If boat diving, go over the area with the depth finder to see if anything interesting shows up. If shore diving, it's a bit harder but nautical charts usually list something WRT depth.

Then you can get down to business. How's access? Currents, tides and temperature? Nasty breaks if it's a beach dive? Is it even legal to be diving there? Is it worth it to throw over a Secchi disc or something to check vis first? Should we throw out a current line off of the boat? If all checks out OK, then strap on a tank and lets go diving.

What would you do?

R..

What would you do?

R..
hire a guide:blinking:

Dived unknown sites hundereds of times. I am always looking for them, an unknown structure on the bottom, an intersting spot on a nautical chart.

I always know at least the depth and have an idea of what the bottom might be It's not like I would just motor out to a spot on the ocean with no knowledge at all of where I am, jump in and start swimming down . Beyond that it's just like any other dive on a spot I know.

Look at it this way if someone didn't dive the unknown we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Back
Top Bottom