Canon 40D Ikelite flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parso

Registered
Reaction score
Before I start, let me say that I take full responsibility for the mishap that happened last week. I do believe some minor modifications to Ikelites port lock release system would minimize the chance of this situation being repeated.

I had my 40D in an Ikelite housing with an 8 inch dome attached. I had slid the 2 port locks into place simultaneously and when I heard the distinctive click, assumed that both locks were in place.

I arrived at the dive site, geared up, made sure the sync cord nuts were tight, did a final check and started to walk into the water. The water was just above my knees and I was just about to submerge the housing fully when I felt something on the housing move abnormally. I looked down and noticed that one of the housings port release buttons had not engaged properly and there was a gaping hole with water going into the housing. Obviously, I aborted the dive immediately.

Once back at my car I stripped the rig down and discovered about 1 1/2 to 2 table spoons of water inside the housing. I removed the battery and the CF card from the camera and dried every thing as best as I could. I then headed home.

At home I wiped, dried and soaked up all the remaining water the best I could. It was now that I tried to figure out what had happened. I reinstalled the port and as before, I simultaneously slid the port lock release buttons into place. On hearing a definite click, I once again assumed the locks were in place. On closer inspection, I noticed that only one lock had engaged. I pulled gently on the port and the release button slid back quite easily revealing the same situation I had at the dive site. I had stupidly believed both port locks had engaged when I heard the click of just one lock engaging.

I believe if there had been 4 locks at 90 degrees to each other, or even 3 locks at 120 degrees to each other, the chances of the port disengaging from the housing would be greatly reduced. Even better, a bayonet fitting, or a screw in system similar to the way the port is attached to the dome would reduce the risk even more.

Just to finish up, I let the camera sit overnight surrounded by silica gel satchels and when I fired it up the next morning, it worked just fine. I installed it in the housing the next afternoon and the electronics for the strobe also appear to be fine.

Like I said at the start, I accept full responsibility for the flood, but believe some minor modifications to the port lock system may reduce the chance of this happening to someone else.

Regards

Parso

I guess this was fresh water? I had the same exact scenario with my 20D only in seawater, the camera and housing electronics were a loss and the housing had to be rebuilt at the tune of $300. I agree that something more should be done to make the dome closure system more secure.

Luckily the camera was insured and was replaced.

Mike

Hi there Mike

The mishap was actually in salt water. It was definitely a lucky escape.

Parso

My only flood was with a D80 and it was also one of the port locks that didnt engage well enough. Now I check everything before I leave the house especially the locking system and then once the boat arrives at the dive site I check it all once again very well.

Glad your problem turned out ok, its not a nice feeling to see water in the housing with your camera.

I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble with the housing. We certainly never like to hear of fresh or saltwater anywhere near a customer's camera!

The "click" sound of the port locks can definitely be misleading at times. I have always recommended checking by sight rather than sound. The circular pin must be absolutely flush against the lock body. I also always give my port locks a little tug to make sure they aren't going anywhere.

We are looking at ways to modify our port locking system to increase customer confidence and reduce the potential for assembly error. If a modification is made we intend to make it available for both new and existing dSLR housings. I don't expect this to be happening overnight... hopefully we'll have something in production by late '09.

As digital SLR's are not cheap, I always recommend carrying equipment insurance for protection against accidents of any kind.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hi there Jean

Thanks so much for the response. I really appreciate it. In the future I will definitely be visually checking the port locks. As this is my first housing, and as I had had no trouble up until now, maybe I was a bit complacent.

It is definitely good news that Ikelite are looking into ways to modify the port locking system. In my humble opinion, the current system is the only thing that lets an otherwise fantastic product down. It just seems to leave absolutely no room for human error. From the responses that I have received, I think there will be a lot of happy Ikelite customers out there once this issue is resolved.

Once again, thanks for the response

Regards

Matt Parsons

I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble with the housing. We certainly never like to hear of fresh or saltwater anywhere near a customer's camera!

The "click" sound of the port locks can definitely be misleading at times. I have always recommended checking by sight rather than sound. The circular pin must be absolutely flush against the lock body. I also always give my port locks a little tug to make sure they aren't going anywhere.

We are looking at ways to modify our port locking system to increase customer confidence and reduce the potential for assembly error. If a modification is made we intend to make it available for both new and existing dSLR housings. I don't expect this to be happening overnight... hopefully we'll have something in production by late '09.

As digital SLR's are not cheap, I always recommend carrying equipment insurance for protection against accidents of any kind.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Jean,

I was wondering if you had any update on possible upcoming modifications to the 8" dome port locking system?
Thanks,
Meaghan

My wife's housing also flooed at the port due to a careless deck hand putting it in the camera tank. No they did not offer to pay for the repair and camera and we now longer allow our cameras to be put in camera tanks.

Jean, is it possible to send the housing back to Ikelite and be fitted with two additional clips to better secure the port? We would do this if possible.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom