Loch Low Minn Dive Report from Mar 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishsquid

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, 4 of us braved the weather forecast of "Severe" thunderstorms, rain, and possible hail on Saturday. Attending was myself, my brother Johnny, sibermike7 who was in from Tallin, Estonia (long way to travel for a dive in a small local quarry):wink: and john1bl. It was overcast and had just stopped raining when we all arrived at the agreed upon time. When we exited the cabins after changing into our wetsuits it had started drizzling again. Oh well, we were going to get wet anyways. We geared up and hit the quarry. Mike had a slight buoyancy issue at first due to rental gear. Once we cleared that up, we headed down to the trench again and played around for awhile. The water was a warm 54 degrees. In his rented drysuit, I'm sure Mike was toasty! The rest of us were in wet suits. After a stroll around the trench walls, we made a leisurely ascent for our safety stop. During our SI, the weatherman made me proud. Consistency rules: The sun was peeking through the fluffy clouds and blue sky prevailed where the clouds were absent. The storm warnings must have scared the storms away. Maybe the Global Warming Alarmists are as accurate.:D After a pleasant round of shooting the breeze (found out sibermike, was stationed in San Diego while a Marine, at the same time my brother and I was stationed there in the Navy), we geared up for our second dive. This dive went smoother without any issues and we made our way around the West Wall. We didn't get to view any of the paddlefish as they stayed away this trip. There was a very aggresive bass that was chasing anything that moved. Luckily for us, we were much bigger than it. A fairly large catfish was being lazy at the bottom and didn't seem to mind us getting pretty close to him. I think he was just too darn comfortable to get concerned. Unlike him, I was starting to get uncomfortable as I was about COLD! We decided to start back to the dock and made our way with another gradual ascent and our safety stop. The day turned out to be a really good day of diving with new friends. I want to thank Rick and Stacy for letting us dive LLM off season. Mike, it was a real pleasure meeting you and diving. John, same for you. I actually got to dive with ya this time, unlike Thanksgiving Day weekend.:shakehead:
As soon as I use up the rest of my film, I will post any pics that came out OK.
Until next time, Happy Diving!:)

Last edited:
Thanx for the report, Squid . . . .

Gotta get up there soon.

Thermocline still at 30'?

the K

Thanx for the report, Squid . . . .

Gotta get up there soon.

Thermocline still at 30'?

the K
Seriously, I couldn't tell. It was cold from top to bottom. :shocked2: :D
Holler at me anytime you think of coming up and I'll try to meet you there. It shouldn't be hard for me to get there on a weekend for sure! Someday I'll have to get down y'alls way and dive Lanier with you Looney Birds.:coffee:

What kind of vis did you have?

It was around 20-25ft due to a bit of cloudiness. The worst I've seen it was around 15ft, and as good as 65ft. The biggest factor at this quarry is the number of classes during summer, rain runoff usually doesn't affect the vis as the quarry is surrounded by trees, under-growth and such. We have had quite a bit of rain lately and the first part of the first dive was under cloudy skies. This quarry is fairly healthy and the fish thrive here. It isn't large, but; it's fairly close to home and always a nice dive. :eyebrow:

I lived in Cleveland, Tn. for 5 years from 1995 to around 2000 and dove it quite a bit. I used
Choo Choo Dive Center in Chattanooga.

I lived in Cleveland, Tn. for 5 years from 1995 to around 2000 and dove it quite a bit. I used
Choo Choo Dive Center in Chattanooga.
Yeah, Choo Choo is a good bunch of folks. Steve is still there running the show. I use them and Leisure Time Dive. I like to share the wealth, that I DON'T have. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom