Tips for where to go alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone got any thoughts about where to go for a brief (5 days?) diving trip by myself? I'm looking to go end of April.

My major criteria are:

Diving
The bigger the life the better (yes, I am shallow)
Interesting dives/topography (e.g. Canyons @dahab)
Ability to get buddied up with someone

Non-diving
Good place to hook up with people in the evenings for a beer
Doesn't require driving to it
Modest to moderate budget for eats and sleeps

I was thinking Dahab but from memory there wasn't a huge amount there so not sure whether the social element would be fulfilled.

TIA
John

I would head to Sharm as it is easy access with flights and to find other folks to hang out with. Lots of places to eat and drink. I stayed at a place across the hwy from all the hotels. Cheap, easy walking distance. If you want to go anywhere just grab a taxi.

Hamata!

Wicked daily diving in Wadi Gamal and Fury Shoal area where you otherwise can only dive from liveaboards.

Absolutely outstanding. Last time I was there we has sharks on the hous reef twice! How cool is that?

.......a.......

Stick with Dahab and stay in town - no need for wheels there.

If you dive with the right people (pm for more info) you'll get more interesting dives/topography than you can handle in 5 days. Dahab has quite a few canyons...:reaper:

Place to hook up is Rush (next to the Illy coffeeshop:cheers:

Thamks for the kind respnses.

Fish/Samaka
Where is Hamata? Hurghada? (Sharks on the house reef indeed always welcome!)

Masterstroke, I'll PM you for further details as I am drawn by Dahab, I've loved the Bells and the Canyons so if it has more to offer in that vein I'd struggle to say no.

I have been tempted to go a little further south to Marsa Alam cos of some bigger critter encounter possibilities (Oceanic White Tips are bound to take my mind off work :) !) but outside of that, Dahab if it has more than the dive sites I've mentioned that are of interest I'll probably look at that for reasons of cost.

Scared Silly - I'm still considering Sharm altho sometimes it seems like there's TOO many people there to make friends, which might sound silly. The other aspect is that I've been there quite a lot and it's also been v crowded at the dive sites. But still a backup plan.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Dahab is MUCH less crowded and frantic than sharm. Diving wise on your own isnt an issue as you'll be buddied up or this time of year may end up 1 on 1 with a guide.

Not sure of any sites to provide "the big stuff" though.

Dahab would definitely suit all your needs. If you can't decide whether Sharm or Dahab, you can do 2 days Sharm (Tiran + Ras Mohammed) and 3 in Dahab (South, Canyon and Gabr El Bint by camel/boat).

Stick with Dahab and stay in town

Place to hook up is Rush (next to the Illy coffeeshop:cheers:

One of the places to hook up.. :D

Dahab is :cool2:

Not sure of any sites to provide "the big stuff" though.
It's all down to luck. I have seen turtles, rays, a nice shark, barracuda huge eels... big fish..

Admittedly your not talking OZ type amounts of sharks, but then again Dahab isn't 24hrs flying away either :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom