Mapping route question to Vortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigken462

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'll be headed down to Vortex next week and thought I would try a new route to see if I could find something a lil smoother with less stop and go traffic.

Typically I drive through 87 from Troy into Florida where is turns in 81 and into the springs, however I'm wondering if a lil detour through Opp down to Florala on US 331 and then on down to Defuniak and from there to I-10 East could be a smoother route.

I'm pulling a loaded trailer, and the 87/81 route just seems to take for freaking ever going through the lil stop and go towns. The 331 route would add 20 miles to the trip, but if they are faster and smoother, I'll take them.

Any advice?

Kenny

Kenny,

I just got home from Atlanta. I took the old route we used to take for years...331 out of Montgomery all the way down to Crestview. 331 is a good road, but I really don't think you are going to save time going that way.

331 has a lot of places you have to slow down...small towns with speed zones you better obey. I always like going through the small towns of Brantley, Luverne, Opp (used to enjoy Opp more back in the day when they used to have the Dairy Queen there!)

Now, I have to admit I haven't taken 87 out of Troy for many years...so not sure how bad that road is. But, my two cents is I think you will find 331 a good road for your trailer...but not sure the extra miles and time will be worth the effort.

Hey guys,

I'll be headed down to Vortex next week and thought I would try a new route to see if I could find something a lil smoother with less stop and go traffic.

Typically I drive through 87 from Troy into Florida where is turns in 81 and into the springs, however I'm wondering if a lil detour through Opp down to Florala on US 331 and then on down to Defuniak and from there to I-10 East could be a smoother route.

I'm pulling a loaded trailer, and the 87/81 route just seems to take for freaking ever going through the lil stop and go towns. The 331 route would add 20 miles to the trip, but if they are faster and smoother, I'll take them.

Any advice?

Kenny

Thanks Glen.

I hope we can leave so that time won't be an issue. I've kinda got good and bad reports on both roads..........If it's late bu the time we get that far down, I may just stick to 81..If not, may just try 331 for the heck of it to see.

Thanks again,

Kenny

Yes, I always watch the speed zones very carefully on 331...especially around the city limits of the numerous small towns. I saw at least three tickets being given between Luverne and Florala.

I got a ticket in Brantley coming back from Vortex last time.:depressed: If you go that way, be careful.

I usually keep it pretty tame when pulling my trailer - heck I keep it tame nearly all the time anyhow. I'm not one to speed too much anyhow. Seen enough blood on the pavement to put my own there.

On a side note, anyone going to be diving the springs this weekend? I'm nearly all packed up. I'm on cycle number two with a HID battery tonight and going to shut it down in about 20 more minutes after a 4 hr burn to let it charge up once more.

Dive safe,

Kenny

I recall that I-10 has all the smoothness of an old wagon road through that part of the Panhandle, so unless they fixed it recently, you might want to check on recent conditions.

I got a ticket in Brantley coming back from Vortex last time.:depressed: If you go that way, be careful.

Yes, I always watch the speed zones very carefully on 331...especially around the city limits of the numerous small towns. I saw at least three tickets being given between Luverne and Florala.

I pretty much avoide hwy 331 as a whole....

It's nothing but a bunch of towns that the cops have nothing better to do than to prey on outsiders for tickets.

Hey guys,

Any advice?

Kenny

Like I said above, I've gotten where I avoid 331.

A couple years ago Rocketman and I tried the route down through Georgiana, Andulusia and Crestview and then east on I-10 to Vortex. I think it added about 45 miles extra mileage, but it took about the same time as driving the normal route (through Elba and Samson). I found it to be an "easier drive" than the normal route though as it had a lot more 4 lanes, but seeing that gas was $3/gallon and and extra 45 miles, it cost more to drive that route (through crestview).

331 also runs you through I'd guess about the same amount of small towns. so you'd run into the same issues towing a trailer.

Since it's only 20 miles difference, my suggestion would be to take one route down and the other back and see which you like better. that way next time you'll know for sure.

make sure to post your results if you do that.

mike

Last edited:
If time is a concern, just let Bamamedic drive. I'm sure you'd get there a lot quicker. She doesn't go anywhere slow and leisurely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom