WD4 WA Conversion Dome fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob57

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a WD4 Wide angle conversion dome for my G10 in an Ikelite Housing. The fit is extremely tight! I really had to work (gently) to get it on the port. Taking it off seemed even more difficult. I certainly won't be able to remove it and reapply underwater. Any suggestions to make this easier?
Thanks

The WD-4 is a very snug fit to prevent the dome assembly from accidentally falling off of the housing (resulting in damage or loss).

You may want to take a little Ikelite silicone lubricant and apply it to the surfaces where the WD-4 and the housing port meet. This should help the WD-4 slide a bit more smoothly. I've actually found it easier to remove and replace the dome underwater than it is above water.

I'd also recommend always attaching the lanyard to the handle assembly!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the help. Using the lubricant helps somewhat, but it still is quite tight. I agree that it is easier to remove underwater, which helps if you want to try macro on the same dive. I still wish I could just slide it on and off. I did notice that I couldn't rotate it much for fear of unscrewing the port. I now just wiggle it off but was worried about repetitive torque on the port and eventual loosening. I will try to rotate clockwise to prevent this and let you know how that works!

Our original intent was being able to carry the housing on the surface with the dome installed and not have it fall off.

If you're going after the easiest removal/replacement, you could use a bent paperclip or similar to remove the o-ring that takes up the gap between the WD4 and the housing's port. You would have to carry the WD4 separately on the surface or when getting out of the water, but water pressure would hold it once pressed on underwater.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Thanks for the additional suggestion. I think that would be a great option on a dive when I know I may want to switch back and forth between WA and some macro (taking care not to lose or drop the WD4). Otherwise I think I will just leave it on with the snug fit as you intended when I plan on WA only. I really appreciate your help with this.

Our original intent was being able to carry the housing on the surface with the dome installed and not have it fall off.

If you're going after the easiest removal/replacement, you could use a bent paperclip or similar to remove the o-ring that takes up the gap between the WD4 and the housing's port. You would have to carry the WD4 separately on the surface or when getting out of the water, but water pressure would hold it once pressed on underwater.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Could you clarify a little bit your statement about "water pressure would hold it once pressed on underwater"? If I remove and re-apply the dome underwater - the pressure inside and outside of the dome will be the same or I missed something?

Another question - if I keep the dome attached to the port topside - do I need to remove and re-apply it when I am underwater - to allow water access into the space between the dome and the port?

I am really considering buying Ikelite case for G10 and the only thing that worries me is (was?) lack of wide-angle lens for it. If WD4 really works - I will by the case tomorrow.

Has anybody on this forum really tried to use it underwater?

Could you clarify a little bit your statement about "water pressure would hold it once pressed on underwater"? If I remove and re-apply the dome underwater - the pressure inside and outside of the dome will be the same or I missed something?

Sorry, I recognize that this was an incorrect statement. You're right and in some cases removal of the o-ring would allow it to slip off or rotate underwater. Also we've found the o-rings to be quite difficult (or impossible) due to the glue used on them.

We've modified the design slightly to use a different o-ring which makes it much easier to remove and replace. The dome must be removed and replaced while underwater so that the space between can be completely filled and all air bubbles removed.

I apologize for the time it's taken us to work out the kinks. However I believe the WD-4 is optically an excellent wide angle solution for the G10. There is a post from a customer under the "Canon G10 Housing Question" thread stating:

Now I bought the Ikelite Dome Port and took alot of test pictures not only in the pool, but also in a lake. this port is really great, no vignetting at 28mm an you get sharp edges also under bad sight conditions.

If you really want to have a wide angle solution, take the Ike dome lens and not the Dyron solution.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Jean: You are right! I followed your advice and removed the o-ring. It was glued down so tight that I did destroy it in the process. It is now easier to remove and apply underwater, but remains a little too loose for my comfort level. Would it be possible to get a modified replacement o-ring as you describe?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom