Which PI sites are best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

I really appreciate all your advice on amazing budget dive sites! Now, I;m starting to lace the trip together and could use little more advice!

1) Specifically I have 98 dives but my partner is a beginner (only 11) so would like to start with him at a site/sites that offer pretty easy diving & lots of scenic beauty Semi-romantic (with a cast-away flavor) & not a lot of tourists would be best ;-). Kick back chill bungalows are a plus. Hot fresh water is worth a little extra $. My partner will stay for a few weeks then take off & I will drop down to serious budget travel continue on alone for 2 months (unless I find a dive buddy).

2) After he leaves, I;m thinking of taking a wreck penetration specialty course-- any recommendations for amazing locations & solid instruction?

Then, I;d like to head to a place with truly incredible diving, a nice chill social scene & plenty of locals mixing with tourists (puerto galera is sounding great I think)!

You all gave some fantastic recommendations, any idea which locations might fit best?

Puerto Galera
Alano Beach
Malapascua
Apo Island
Moalboal
Siquijori
Panaglo
Dumaquete

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Kathy, in my oppinion, for good solid intruction possibilities as well as night life/ mixing with locals, PG is a good choice. There are many good schools for courses there and you'll easily find what you are looking for I think. Also, if you stay in Big Lalaguna (3rd beach down and about 10 minute walk to the main party strips), it,s quiet and more romantic with nicer beach. I stayed there with my girlfriend at Lalaguna Beach Club and it was nice for her standards.

But PG does have a lot of tourists. Maybe another part of the PIs would be better for the first part of your trip. I'll let others, more knowledgeable than I, chime in on this.

Hope this helps a bit!:coffee:

I agree with Codman;
Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find without repacking your bags and traveling to another place. Rec.; Tech.; Deep; Drift; Nature, (Verde Is. Passage has over 600 spc. of nudibranchs.).
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!

Let's see.... Coron has what you mention "scenic beauty Semi-romantic (with a cast-away flavor) & not a lot of tourists would be best ;-). Kick back chill bungalows are a plus." Definitely tops the cast-away, romantic flavour (see my gallery pics). However, the diving is mostly wreck and adventurous - dunno if your partner would enjoy it with just 11 dives under his belt. Although Coron would be perfect for your wreck specialty course.

Out of your list, to hit what you mentioned I'd do a search for these locales: Malapascua, Apo Island (stay on the island), Moalboal, Siquijor. Out those choices I just outlined, Apo Island tops my list, only because I haven't been to the others. I know they would be super chill, I just can't confirm the diving (other PPDers can though). Alona is a bit more to the touristy side (but definitely has places that are romantic), and I don't think staying Dumaguete side can offer that castaway feeling as good as staying on Apo (albeit great diving).

For your second leg, ditto what h2o and codman said.

Chip, from what I know, Malapascua is Salt water showers only, :no: Which doesn't suit Kathy's requirements of hot freshwater showers...:popcorn:

Sorry, just wanted to add this info in case it's important to her.:coffee:

excellent point, codman. I should also point out that Apo Island is the same with their brackish water.

hi there
if you want to dive the dauin and apo island area a great place
to stay is kookoos nest in tambobo bay about an hour from dumaguete
the prices are reasonable and the food is excellent.They also have anice little dive
shop. another option is to stay on apo island itself your are only 5 minutes away
from some world class divesites

Chip, from what I know, Malapascua is Salt water showers only, :no: Which doesn't suit Kathy's requirements of hot freshwater showers...:popcorn:

Sorry, just wanted to add this info in case it's important to her.:coffee:

I;m fine with cold salt water showers on my part of the trip :D!

Just think for the "romantic" 2 weeks - could avoid the salty sticky skin ! :rofl3::rofl3: But not necessary if the atmosphere & diving are right :D.

Kinda funny, a gal havin' to pamper her guy :rofl3::rofl3:

Caught plenty of rain water last year in Bunakan--which helped the clothes hand washed in salt water to actually fully dry :wink:!

Kinda funny, a gal havin' to pamper her guy :rofl3::rofl3:

:rofl3::rofl3: This is more and more common nowadays! Tell me, what is the world coming to???:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Heck, I shouldn't talk... I love to cook....:shakehead::shakehead:

:rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom