Roatan-Best time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

busted

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a trip to Bay Islands Next year. We are thinking about April. Does anyone know wht the best time to dive Roatan, as far as calm and clear water?

For future reference, there is alot of information on Roatan in the Central America section. My take on the weather is this...April-May are generally fairly windy and can have rough seas. Late March to Early June are the peak of thimble jelly season in the Caribbean, but my experiences in March 1999 and May 3-10, 2003 were not bad at all. If you go in the spring you miss hurricane season, if you go in the winter, it is rainy season. Rainy season in Roatan as I understand it runs from about October to the end of January. So the only real time you should expect calm clear water is June - October, which just happens to be hurricane season. Being as far south as they are, Roatan doesn't see a large number of hurricanes, but they did get a direct hit from Mitch in October 98 and have seen rough weather from two others since than that ended up heading into Belize instead. My advice if you want the best conditions is to book early in the summer (might be hot, but they tend to get more tropical weather action late in the hurricane season) and get trip cancellation/interruption insurance that covers weather related problems. That is also considered low season, so you should get some good prices also.

AggieDiver

Back
Top Bottom