Less than 15 feet of Water......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok if I use regular air in 0-15 feet of water for lets say 3-5 hours will that give me residual nitrogen in my blood the charts don't start until 35 feet. My friend and I are going to be diving for golfballs in less than 15 feet of water most of the time. I am also certified as a Nitrox Diver and wondering if there is residual nitrogen from regular air that would not be a problem at all if diving Nitrox correct. We do not want to be exhausted from the residual nitrogen. I have heard so many times people say it doesn't matter what type of air you use in shallow depths is that correct? :) Thank you in advance for your time.

Also we are looking for the best type of rig that would not be as heavy as regular gear can you give any suggestions for a compact light rig. I think it is important to remember that you have to come up with very heavy golfballs quite often so Nitrox also makes more sense as there would be less chance for any type of accident from fatigue diving. One last point would be to be able to protect ourselves from the chemical fertilizers used so often on golf courses.

Per the model in the most common decompression tables (PADI/DSAT's RDP, for example), the critical inert gas tension is higher than you can possibly achieve breathing air in 15 feet of water. In english: you can stay down as long as your gas allows and never give a thought to decompression.

Theoretically.

I 90 percent of the time only dive Nitrox because of the overwhelming beneifits from it but if I am diving 20 feet or less Only use air. As mentioned above you would have to stay down for such an extended period it really does not matter. So if your main goal is 15 feet save the money and do air.

If your goal is deeper then 20 feet you would appreciate the beneifits of nitrox for post diving as well as during the dive.

if your restricted to these shallow depths I would definitely suggest nitrox. I have done some extended length shallow dives in the 40ft range (or less) on air and on 32% and feel much better on the 32%. if 40% or 80% is available go for it, just watch for oxygen clock if you start going up on the O2%

I would also suggest you limit the amount of times you surface. its probably easier to carry a good mesh bag and a lift bag. as you add weight to the mesh bag you need only add a bit more air to your lift bag. this helps keep you off the bottom and keeps vis as good as possible.

rig wise, I would go dry for sure with just a backplate and no wing. if your diving in those golf course ponds they are full of nasty chemicals that will eat suits, seals, and everything else (over time) so be sure to rinse everything extra good and try not to take your super expensive gear in those places.

good luck

Should not be in fact it would be a further beneifit to you scientificly since your surfacing. I would in my own honest opinion though invest in a lift bag if your going to be retrieving a lot of balls since it will at some point alter your weight. Maybe a 10 pound lift bag and you can attach it to the bag you are using to contain the balls directly. this can be alot easier with multiple bags. Then you simply surface and retrieve the bags.

Regarding gear, you want a sealed first stage regulator. A full face mask is an expensive option, but it will keep those chemicals off your face if they are a problem.

I second the lift bags for getting the balls out as the best way.

I've seen another (cheap and low tech) rig where you take a few 5-gallon buckets down with ropes tied to the handles. Drill small holes in the bottom of the buckets so water will drain out. Dive, fill up a bucket, put the lid on it, leave it there and move on. When you get out, pull your buckets out by the ropes. It messes up the vis so pull your buckets out when you're finished diving. You're out by that point and aren't going back in until next time so no big deal on the vis. 5-gallon bucket handles eventually break so you might drill holes through the upper rim and run the rope all the way through both sides. Again, this is the low-tech way--but hope it helps...

We use a plastic backplate with a single 80 for golf ball diving. Get a 4" PVC T piece and a mesh bag with a drawstring. Cinch the bag around the T so the single outlet is facing out. Get down and fill 'er with balls. The T will keep the balls from coming back out of the bag. AS for chemicals, don't swallow any water, don't flood your mask and rinse your ears well when you get out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom