Cost of Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
I will be relocating to the Philippines soon and trying to determine feasibility of shipping some tanks (Alum 80's) along with several other items or buying them there. Can anyone give me an idea of what the currentl price of tanks are.

Thanks in advance..

Roger

Customs charged me 1000 pesos ($20.60 USD) for importing an electric toothbrush weighing less than a kilo.... that only cost me $20 USD on eBay, but then again I'm white so thats normal in the RP.

Ok, take it easy on the locals.....
Remember, if you don't like it, leave it.

Now, as for buying dive gear. If you are an instructor then many businesses offer great prices. I would not bother shipping anything that will not fit in a balikbayan box. Most places have a shipping company that specializes in shipping balikbayan boxes from anywhere in the world to the Philippines. I have used the service myself over 50 times in the last 6 years. The boxes are pretty big (36" X 36" X 36" square). I have shipped tanks before. You can put 9 tanks (w/padding) in one box. Check with your local Pinoy population about who they use for shipping. WELCOME TO THE PHILIPPINES! MABUHAY!!

Hi Rogersea

I just bought another 20 Tanks and I bought Luxfer 80's (they call em "super ugly" or so) and I payed 155US$. If you want the same Tanks with nice shiny surface they will cost about 160 US$ but will look like the super ugly after 10 dives :) I bought them in Asian Divers in Cebu but they have outlets in Manila and Boracay as well. Scuba World and Whitetipdivers are far more expensive for the same Tanks. Otherwise like Babydamulag suggests sending them by Balikbayan Box.

Best regards from Alona.......Philipp

Did those tanks come with valves (DIN or Yoke)???

I will be relocating to the Philippines soon and trying to determine feasibility of shipping some tanks (Alum 80's) along with several other items or buying them there. Can anyone give me an idea of what the currentl price of tanks are.

Thanks in advance..

Roger
are these personal use tanks or tanks you'll use in a commercial dive op?

coz very few divers (particularly recreational divers) here actually own their own tanks... the rental and airfill for tanks are far far cheaper than having to buy then lug them around...

you may want to sell them off in US or wherever then use the money to buy yourself something smaller (easier to ship) or something you'll need here (may save you a ton of $$$ in customs and shipping)

Jag

Did those tanks come with valves (DIN or Yoke)???

the Asia Divers Luxfer's come normally with a Thermo delux Yoke valve. you can also get them with DIN and a Yoke insert. I am not 100% sure but recalling the Asia Divers price-list out of my bubble-brain the price difference was 3.50 $ per valve (w/sale-price).

There is one regulator (can't remember the brand, but not very common) which does not fit for the DIN/YOKE-insert-Version)

Thanks....I will be making a phone call and an order!!

The tanks will primarily be used during some "off the beaten track" type excursions I hope to do. Last year while in the Philippines there were several times that logistics became fairly difficult. A couple of times we were required to carry our own tanks and compressor to the dive sites.

Thanks for info..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom