Mask issues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just a question out there for all of you that have some good mask experience...

My current mask is a Oceanic Shadow (Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Masks - Shadow Series) and I am clearing my mask of water A LOT. I don't know if it is partially a mask issue or if it is an experience issue (done only 40 dives), but I have ordered a TILOS frameless mask (Tilos Frameless Mask reviews and discounts, Tilos) because that is a mask that has been recommended to me.

My question is, do you think this low-volume mask will help? I recently saw some masks with purgevalve's (Panoramic Purge Mask reviews and discounts, Tilos) and thought that those masks might help as well. I have already ordered the TILOS low-volume but I'm willing to try the purge valve one if the TILOS doesn't work (and you all think it is worth a shot), or if you think it's just an experience thing...I'll just keep diving :)

Thanks

your best bet is probably to go try on a bunch at an lds and decide what to buy based on that as opposed to recommendations. What works for someone won't be the best for someone else.

The purge mask won't necessarily stop water from coming in any more, but it would be a little easier to clear.

Do you have a mustache?

One other thing of which you should be aware . . . are you unknowingly exhaling through your nose a little bit?

Some new divers forget to concentrate on exhaling solely through their mouths and subsequently exhale a bit through their noses, this causes the mask to break the seal with the face and allow a little bit of water to trickle in with each breath.

the K

One other thing of which you should be aware . . . are you unknowingly exhaling through your nose a little bit?

Some new divers forget to concentrate on exhaling solely through their mouths and subsequently exhale a bit through their noses, this causes the mask to break the seal with the face and allow a little bit of water to trickle in with each breath.

the K

I actually think this might be an issue. I am diving again with my regular mask tonight and hope to pay close attention to that and see if I am able to correct that myself. I'll let you know if I notice anything. Thanks

Would second the suggestion that you go to your local LDS and try on a bunch of masks. What works for one person is pretty much irrelevant for you.

Things I have found that cause a leak other than a mask that does not fit:

Hair - moustache, not shaving, forehead. Took me a long time to figure out the shaving one. On a 5 dive a day trip often my mask would leak on the last dive of the day or the last two dives of the day - same mask that was dry for the first four dives. Stubble creates just enough space for water to leak in - for me.

Breathing out through nose

Smiling too much, creates wrinkles in your face that break the seal

Hood under the seal

Snorkle dragging the mask off your face

I did go to the LDS and tried a few and they all leaked while I used them. (Even the ones that I could suck to my face perfectly.) That is why I am thinking I might be a nose breather.

Secondly, I can't shave close or I get very bad ingrown hairs; so every morning I shave my whole face with a moustache trimmer which leaves me with some stubble. Any way to get around the fact that my face ALWAYS has stubble?

Put a bit of silicone grease under your nose where the mask and stubble meet.

they sell some gooey lip-balm like stuff for this. I find it works great.

Also, make sure that the mask strap isn't on too tight against your head. Contrary to popular belief, that will also crush the mask too much against your face and cause leakage as well as severe discomfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom