Harness&Backplate -vs- BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r1_addict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok,

So I got a good set of steel 104 doubles linked by a Halcyon 300bar manifold. I am being guided by friends to bolt them up to a harness and back plate/wing setup. I have the option to get a new Zeagle Tech BC for $200! Why not just use that with a back plate?

It dose not seam reasonable to me to have to reinvent the wheel. If I build a harness system, I have to start messing with weight options ect. The Zeagle has integrated weight system which I like.

My primary BC is a Zeagle Ranger, I want to avoid reconfiguring each time I go between single and double tanks.

Educate me!

I have the option to get a new Zeagle Tech BC for $200! Why not just use that with a back plate?

What do you mean by that?

Most bladders are designed for either singles or doubles. Some (such as the Z Tech) claim to
accommodate both, but I must imagine some concessions are made.

As to weighting, you may find it more difficult to trim out in doubles than you do in singles due to the more-than-doubling of tank-associated weight. It looks like that Z Tech has an integrated weight setup straight out of their standard "singles" rig. That may be adequate, but on the other hand it may not. With a backplate, you'll have more options regarding where to position your weights.

My primary BC is a Zeagle Ranger, I want to avoid reconfiguring each time I go between single and double tanks.
Do you have dedicated singles reg and a set of dedicated doubles regs? If not, you'll certainly be reconfiguring when you go back and forth, and in a more annoying manner than simply throwing on a weight belt or whatever it takes. (Alternately you can put either Y or H valves on your single tanks and use the same regs for singles and doubles).

Educate me!
Be prepared for a number of questions along the lines of "why do you need doubles," etc..

I personally dive the same set of tanks. I have used both a BP/W setup and a Dive Rite Nomad. You won't need much weight, if any, so integrated weights are unnecessary. I would buy a bp/w setup to use with these tanks as it will provide you with the stability you'll need with such large tanks.

Depending on the type of exposure suit, weather or not you'll be carrying stage/deco bottles will determine the size of wing required. 42-50lbs. of lift should be sufficient. If you have any further questions feel free to send me a PM.

Tyler

Well, I have the habit of leaving a lot of information out. I am getting two new regulators set up for DIN. As for the "option to get a Zeagle Tech for $200" It is a local guy who bought it and decided he did not want it so I figured it was cost effective. I have been reading a lot about the setup of doubles and just wanted clarification.

As to why I am getting into doubles. In the future, I want to do some cavern and cave. 1/3 in 1/3 out and 1/3 reserve for your buddy right. I would like to master my skills with doubles while in springs and open ocean. I love to train and want everything to be second nature to me. Besides, it takes a while to accumulate the proper skills and gear. I have a goal and want to reach it being fully prepared. I value opinions of others and feel I can lean a lot just by asking as many questions as I can.

TIA

As for the "option to get a Zeagle Tech for $200" It is a local guy who bought it and decided he did not want it so I figured it was cost effective.

What I was asking is what you mean by using a Zeagle Tech "with a back plate".

As to why I am getting into doubles. In the future, I want to do some cavern and cave. 1/3 in 1/3 out and 1/3 reserve for your buddy right.

Are you assured to get out as quickly as (or quicker than) you got in?

I would like to master my skills with doubles while in springs and open ocean.

Works for me. My post was more commentary about scubaboard tradition than a question to you. :p

As to why I am getting into doubles. In the future, I want to do some cavern and cave. 1/3 in 1/3 out and 1/3 reserve for your buddy right. I would like to master my skills with doubles while in springs and open ocean. I love to train and want everything to be second nature to me. Besides, it takes a while to accumulate the proper skills and gear. I have a goal and want to reach it being fully prepared. I value opinions of others and feel I can lean a lot just by asking as many questions as I can.

Well, ignoring some of the inevitable basic questions, if as you say you're going to do cave and you're looking to get acclimated to the right gear and necessary skills, you should really just go for the bp/w, since that's what you'll eventually be using for this kind of diving (do a survey and see how many cave divers are using "tech BCs" as opposed to bp/w). I have a feeling that Tech BC will be a flash in the pan, and you'd soon be putting up your own for-sale ad for it.

I think these posts are a reminder why mentoring is so important.

r1_addict: If I were you I'd try to find some local divers who are more advanced and are doing the kind of diving you are interested in. See if you can go dive with them. Get out and talk to them about their configurations. Dive with them as much as possible and get experience planning dives, diving your plans and perfecting your skills.

Then worry about future configuration changes.

Just my $0.02 ... and Canadian at that, so probably not worth very much :)

Well, I have the habit of leaving a lot of information out. I am getting two new regulators set up for DIN. As for the "option to get a Zeagle Tech for $200" It is a local guy who bought it and decided he did not want it so I figured it was cost effective.

You'll likely find, as many do, that the Zeagle setup will be quite limiting should you decide to pursue the cave route. When you begin to want to add the standard fare like can lights, deco and stage bottles, and perhaps use a scooter, you'll find that a BP/W is designed to do that and is built for it.

But you can take the advice the cave divers are giving you, or you can choose to ignore it.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys. I have a better understanding of why I will be going with the back plate/wing setup...:D

Hi, I use BP/W with both singles and doubles and I am really satisfyed, don't change it. My reasons are that I have a much better control of an eventual bounce of the cylinder with BP and it gives me more flexibility to adjust the trim.

With a 104 double you probably won't need any wheight, you just adjust the trim by moving the cylinders up and down relatively to the backplate. For singles you add wheight in the single cylinder adapter and make the "fine tuning" using one wheight pocket in each rig of the adapter, by combining more wheight in the upper or lower pocket you adjust the trim perfectly. Once you do that once, no need to reconfigure, just put or take out the single cylinder adapter (and of course change from a 40~50 lbs wing to a 20~30 for singles).

Brgds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom