Drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Never had a chance 2 try and dive with a dry suit, I just would like 2 find out how much weight do U have 2 use while dry suit diving. I'm 220#'s, just an approx ditchable and non ditchable weights????????

Gear and experiance depending,some 4 to 6 lbs more.
Specialy in the beginning it would even be more,new DS divers not acoustom to completely venting their suit.

But do have FUN in the drysuit.:D

All depends on the individual, I dive with no weight wet and dry.

I dive cold water with steel tank and pack 36lbs on a 210lb frame. Depends on how much thermal undergarments you have and the type of suit.
Good luck
U/O

As others have suggested, there are too many variables to give you even an approximate answer.

I am about 6-0, 200#. If I am diving a conventional BCD and a single aluminum 80 tank with medium weight underwear, I need about 16 pounds. If I am diving a stainless steel backplate with steel doubles and medium underwear, I am overweighted without any weight. If I were to wear heavier weight underwear, I would have to add weight to either setup.

Everything is also dependent upon your own diving style. I know a lot of people who wear more weight than I even if they had the same body type and size. I have heard of people with fairly average frames wearing 40 pounds, and I can't believe it.

I dive cold water with steel tank and pack 36lbs on a 210lb frame. Depends on how much thermal undergarments you have and the type of suit.
Good luck
U/O

I'd agree that this is a good place to start. Guys I dive with in the 220# range are like 35-45lbs of lead - everybody is different, but if you are diving on an al80 and in a dry suit, I'd expect you'd be in this range.

I am 185#, 7mm neoprene drysuit and I carry 28#

Thanks 4 all the information, since I have a handicap I wasn't sure if I could handle the Xtra weight. Guess I'll have 2 try a DS out.

I did my OW cert dives (DS dives 1-4) in a drysuit...they put 50 pounds of lead on me.

On my most recent drysuit dive (DS dive #25), I had 32 pounds - and I felt like I probably could have dropped 2 pounds.

Both dives were with the same (back inflate) BCD, but first one had an AL tank, last one had a steel tank. First one had the lamest neoprene suit on the market - with basically no undergarment. Last one had a pretty nice Bare drysuit, with good undergarment.

Your mileage may vary.

Depends on the type of drysuit (trilam, neoprene) as well as the type of tanks you are diving with. I use no extra weight at all in fresh and maybe 4 pounds in salt. This is with think undergarments in a Trilam suit as well as doubles. I am not a big fan of planning to carry ditchable weight.

As it was said it all depends upon different things, including the type of suit, how thick the undergarment is etc. I have ~13-14ln with a steel HP100 tank 30cuf pony and thick undergarment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom