What was your most amazing dive experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessiem309

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being a newbie it's all pretty amazing to me right now- please share some stories of your most amazing dive experiences.

Jess

Honestly, breathing UW for the first time may have been my most amazing experience.

Seeing a Grouper hunting with a 7' Green Moray Eel, is likely a first second so to speak! But I've seen a hundred unique things UW, and they are all good! 800lbs Goliath groupers, 12' Nurse Sharks under a ledge, Bull sharks tasting the water after a kill, Blue Parrotfish in the 100's swimming through shallow reefs in the Keys... these are all things I have experienced, and likely not 50% of the things worth saying about diving. Diving is an amazing sport, enjoy it!

I brought a drowning diver to the surface once. She was fine, after a little sputtering. That's number one, but number two was pretty cool too:

Towards the end of a dive our group of six divers were clinging to the rocks at Manuelita, off Cocos Island, waiting for the hammerheads to make another pass, when we heard the clicking of dolphins followed by the revving of the panga's outboards. We ascended together, climbed into the skiff, and shed our gear. The driver quickly sped towards Dirty Rock, maybe a 5-minute ride. We were greeted with this:

cocos_baitball.jpg

My picture doesn't really give you a feel for the frenzy. The birds were diving in as the silky sharks were flying out, the surface aboil with the fray. We slid into the water in our snorkeling gear and edged toward the fringe of a massive undulating baitball. The pod of dolphins, apparently sated, left together as we arrived. There were at least a hundred silkies in the water--I counted a dozen within a few meters of me--many seemingly regarding me as dessert. Larger Galapagos and blacktip sharks circled beneath us. Yellowfin tuna emerged from the bait and streaked right towards us--they are amazingly fast--veering off at the last possible moment. We watched for maybe a half-hour before another of the skiffs took our spot.

Check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/27499-shark-attack-stories.html

Scroll down to the posts by Bret Gilliam and Thalassamania for two of the most amazing dive stories I've ever heard.

Scroll down to the second post by Cudabait:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/33429-barracuda-attack.html#post353484

And another great one from Thalassamania:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...ts-biggest-_____-you-have-ever-seen-dive.html

Last edited:
Back rolling into the water in Pulau Weh top be greeted with what seemed like 100's of pygmy devil rays flying in formation. Breath taking. No one had a camera, but a quick search of Google images should give you an idea!

How is Pulau Weh? I would like to go next time I'm in Singapore. Did you take the ferry from Penang or fly into Medan?

Well I have 2:

1. Snorkeling with juvenile Whalesharks with the SRI and assisting with their research work.
3404335066_88a850e7ee.jpg

2. Diving with some of the great shark divers with Shark Diver Magazine and swimming alongside 17' Tigers and even petting a few too!

3125968275_b8209dcd31.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

Wow- thanks everyone for some great reading material to go with my morning coffee! So far after 12 dives that first underwater experience is definately the top of my list- I can see I have a lot to look forward to!

Keep the stories coming!

and.... it seems as though y'all think diving with sharks is a good thing.... I may need to work on my shark phobia!

Jess

Watching the manta ray ballet as they rolled and turned and slid right over our heads during a night dive in Kona. Then having one accompany us back to the boat, repeatedly rolling right in front of us to scoop the plankton caught in the beam of our lights.

O'k- just read Bret Gilliam's amazing and horrific story. I think the shark phobia is here to stay....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom