Questions about rebuilding regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anony

Registered
Reaction score
After practicing the disassembly and reassembly of a few different regulator models, I am finally working on my own!
yay!
There was minor corrosion, as with every reg I've seen thus far, and it was really hard to get the yoke nut off. When reassembling, I want to protect this part from corrosion, but the official manual says not to lubricate it.
What should I do?

Regulator techs: Any general advice?

[Please dont tell me I shouldnt be doing this, clearly I am.]

and it was really hard to get the yoke nut off. When reassembling, I want to protect this part from corrosion, but the official manual says not to lubricate it.

[Please dont tell me I shouldnt be doing this, clearly I am.]

Getting your nut off can be problematic, especially when you're working alone on your own gear. A little lube can sure go a long way. When you finally get your nut off, that's a great time for a little clean up. Anything can be lubed to get it off- it can get kinda messy! You should not put it away wet or reassemble it without a good clean up.

(I don't understand, though: You say that you're telling yourself that you should not be doing this?) Good that you practiced on other people's hoses, first. :crafty:

Can I ask what your Manufacturer training course explained to do ? Or did it not cover what to do with the nut? I thought certain manufacturers use certain specific chemicals and lubes for specific parts and that should have been taught to you (this is usually seperate than the manual for your reg and my manual mentions nothing about lubes either).

Also, what are you using to set the IP's?

I bought a tube of "food grade" lube a few years ago which works very nicely on thread in salt water. It has the consistency of a light grease. Can't remember the brand name since I squeezed it all out into a pill container for easier use. You should be able to find something equivalent on the net.

It's not uncommon for overzealous techs to over-tighten things. That could be part of the reason it was hard to get off. Manufacturers' maintenance manuals often give torque specifications. Follow those. And if the manual says not to lubricate it, I wouldn't.

Thanks for all your advice, and an extra thanks for BeenThereDoveThat for making me laugh.

A small amount of anti-seize compound will solve the problem. The yoke nut is external to the operation of the regulator and any lubricant on it will not be in contact with the breathing gas. The same goes for yoke screws. I have always lubricated external threads on my regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom