Gemini question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timoblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hoping to pick one up soon - Would i have any problems adapting the Gemini to fit a Cressi Aquapro 5R.

Many tnx

Timo

The Gemini is built with a 1" inch opening, so it fits on any corrugated hose that is 1" inch in diameter. I have seen a few people stretch a 3/4' inch corrugated hose onto a Gemini. Their hose did not split or tear. I don't know what the diameter the corrugated hoses are on the Cressi BCs.

3/4' diameter on this particular one - Have the ''leak'' issues been resolved with the Gemini now.

Tnx

So if it is a 3/4 inch hose, you might be able to stretch it on. I have seen it done. It is built for a 1" inch hose though. If it tears, it is on you not me.

The leaking has been competely fixed. Yes.

The thought of the hose tearing though is something to think about - would this render it useless if it did.

For the money i would have to guess its not worth finding out.

I would ask your dive shop to do it. Then it is up to them to do it correctly. The hose can always be replaced and the hose is typically not that expensive. Worth the money? That is your call, and how much confidence you have in your LDS.

Confidence in my LDS ranks pretty high so i know i could task them with this one.

They are Sherwood dealers, however the question is - are they likely to undertake such a task in the knowledge that they too could potentially tear the hose.

Somehow i don't think the warranty would cover that one.

Thanks for the advice sherwoodSCUBArep.

Well, I can tell you the leakage has not been fixed. We bought two of the gemini's 5 months ago from LDS. One of them leaked out the mouthpiece on it's first dip in the pool. A simple adjustment and it was fine. We live in denver so these see a dip in the pool prior to each trip to make sure all is working well and then off to cozumel for a week of diving...this is done twice a year. Our first dive this week and mine was leaking. Jumped on Sherwood's website to look up dealers in cozumel and every 'dealer' listed on their site would tell me they don't sell Sherwood when I called. If Sherwood's website can't direct me to an actual dealer, how do I find one? Why would shops be listed on Sherwoods website who don't rep their gear?

In any event, I finally found someone in one of sherwoods listed shops who said he would adjust it though he doesn't recommend using the brand...simple adjustment like everyone says. The next dive...hers leaked. Another adjustment. Two dives later BOTH of them were freeflowing. Adjust, adjust...they worked again..for one dive. The good news is I am getting really good at oral inflating while performing a tight swim through...the bad news is I have to orally inflate while taking pictures or video or holding a flashlight etc. These Gemini's are making me crazy. Yes, it is a simple adjustment. Yes, I've considered bringing the tools down in my BC if I knew where in cozumel to buy tools and no I should not have to go through all of this for a piece of equipment that costs what these do.

An equipment failure for me is not the end of the world....when one fails on my female dive buddy though....it very easily could be. I don't mind orally inflating (ok, I do mind but I am willing), and not having any sort of backup air source...she absolutely does mind, (because she is the smarter of the two of us). I am very seriously considering throwing these in the trash when I return and going with Zeagle's version. I can't even bring myself to sell them on ebay knowing how they could be a danger. Going to give my dive shop one more shot at it. They have 12 dives on them and have been in the shop nearly half that many times. There is something very wrong with this design. Nothing should loosen up that quickly. It's the backup air source that is leaking so much...and I might have taken 6 breaths on mine in its lifetime, while she has certainly taken half that many. Why is it loosening up when it's not even used?

There is nothing more frustrating than paying a bunch of money for something and having it constantly fail while nearly new. Perhaps I am being harsh on Sherwood, but then this is two identical units failing one after another repeatedly...that's not a random problem.

Bill in Denver,

Thanks for the reply. It is in fact fixed.

If you bought Geminis five months ago, they were most likely build in the factory nearly a year ago. The fix was not completed at that time. Most inventory in stores today and in the warehouse will not have the same issue you have.

I am not trying to minimize your frustration. I agree with you, buying a product and not having it work properly can be frustrating.

What is the fix? Are we talking about a drop of loctite I can do myself, a new nylock nut or is it a kit or something the factory supplies to the dealer who fixes it? If I were in denver, this would be as easy as dropping it off at A1 Scuba and telling them to call me when it's fixed..but we are in cozumel and we've lost as much in aborted dives (that we had to pay for anyway) as these two units cost new.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom