Pull-dump on Travel Wings? Reason not to use AIR2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Dive-Rite Travel Wings have a pull dump?

I'm trying to weigh pros/cons of using an AIR2-type octopus (a secondary air source BC inflator) instead of a regular octopus. Most compelling reason I've seen NOT to use an AIR-2, is that it's harder to use your inflator hose to deflate BC and breath at the same time if using it as an alternate air source in an emergency. I figured that in such a case, you could use the pull-dump to deflate BC. But if Travel Wings don't have pull-dump, then that makes the argument against AIR-2 even stronger.

thanks in advance!
Michael

The Diverite travel wings have a pull dump. That said, IMO the AIR 2 is not worth it, just to get rid of a hose. One diver who was a real Dr. Gadget had an Air 2 and admitted to me "it is more convenient when you don't have to use it and less convenient when you have to use it". Would you want a parachute with that characteristic? Even the scuba industry is moving away from the Air 2 type of solution with the introduction of new inflation systems for BC's that lack the ambient hose that the Air 2 connects to.

I have the TPII (does have the pull dump) and the AIR 2. The AIR 2 is a holdover from my other BC setup. That was a ScubaPro BC which had the valve on the right shoulder so the AIR 2 hose doesn't have to do that double duty.

As an inflator / deflator it works fine. I have not had to use it in an emergency though I have the same concern - that I wouldn't be able to control bouyancy and breathe from it at the same time. I have found that to get that last bit of air out of the TPII you do need to use the inflator rather than the pull dump. So that furthers the concern.

Next time I'm going to practice using the AIR 2 with my wife in a controlled condition. If I see any problems I'll chuck the AIR 2.

DolphinDiver once bubbled...
II have found that to get that last bit of air out of the TPII you do need to use the inflator rather than the pull dump. So that furthers the concern.

This is frequently the case. I think it is because as you pull on the ambient hose the wing folds over and traps that last bit of air. Anyway, I have no love for the Air 2. The Scubapro dealer I bought my regulator from seems to have a policy of only selling the Air 2 to customers that insist on it. By the way, the inflator valve supplied with the Travel wing allows a lot of control when adding air at depth. If all you want is a puff of air, that is what you get.

These responses have convinced me that AIR2 is not worth the potential saftey tradeoffs. Seems like all of the benefits are convenience-related and all of the negatives are saftey-related.
Saftey wins.

thanks,
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom