Blackbird Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpmcc

New
Reaction score
Any reviews on Blackbird Resort in Belize. I'm taking my two daughters (ages 11 &12) who are newly certified. Too advanced for them?? Thanks for the input.

Nope, the cool thing about the reefs surrounding BB Caye is that you can dive whatever you want. The variety is fabulous. It is also a great place to snorkel, the week I was there, they sent out a snorkel boat twice a day with the nondivers. I'd say the resort is ideal for new divers.
Make sure they have a trip to Lighthouse Reef planned, that's the best thing ever. (I would not recommend your kids do the Blue Hole though, it's not difficult or technical, but it is a very deep dive).
A few things: You can't swim at night from the docks, there are crocodiles in the water. Honest! They feed them to keep them from coming up onto the beach. Very cool, but a reminder that it is not a good idea to dive from the docks at night.
Bring PLENTY of bug spray. The mossies are absolutely vicious.
Check your bar tab carefully at the end of the week, we found that more often than not, mistakes were made. And careful, I think the Margaritas were $8 each! :wacko:
Be prepared to tip everyone, (bring at leat an extra hundred), the week I was there, they almost begged for tips the last couple of days. They did a great job and deserved it though.
Accomodations and food are first-rate. I would go back.
Have fun! I'm jealous! :D

in the lee side lagoon each morning before breakfast to work up an appetite...about halfway into our stay, the resort manager took everyone out after dinner with a spotlight to show us the crocs there...no mention of them prior to that...hmmmmm.

Ditto the bar tab advice...

The diving is pretty tame for the most part, the same dive briefing was used for every dive...'80 feet for 20 minutes, mon.'

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
Ditto the bar tab advice...

Ditto again on the bar tab - on your last day they ring it all up in $Belize. However they tell you "80 dollars" without specifying which ones. If you give them $80US - they will assume the extra $40 is a tip.

BBK Pros
- Large Variety of Close Dive Sites (5 minute boat rides).
- Diving the Blue hole and Light House Reef
- Great food
- Good boat crews and dive masters
- Nice, comfy rooms with A/C
- Enough afternoon wind to keep the bugs at bay

BBK Cons
- Bugs
- Resort is not well represented on the website (but what dive resorts are)
- Dave (with the eye patch) the manager can be annoying
- The small A/C units in the rooms can not fend off the afternoon heat in the rooms as there is no insulation on the ceiling/roof
- Not much to do besides diving, fishing, canoeing

We enjoyed Belize and BBK, but have many other places I would rather return to before heading back to Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom