cracked exhaust port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyennis7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of my kids inadvertantly set their cylinder down on their reg and cracked what he called the chin support, which is actually the exhaust port (Aeris Ion)...is there any danger in diving 'til a replacement comes in (it doesn't act any differently at depth)?

Look at the crack to be sure it will not continue to propogate to an area where the air tight integrity of the case could be compromised.

If it were me, I'd probably stop drill the crack (round hole at the end of the crack that reduces the stress riser that otherwise exists) but if it is not going to affect the case itself it is no big deal.

The exhaust cover protects the exhaust valve and deflects the exhaust bubbles. If it is not in place, the exhaust valve could be lifted by water currents and allow water inside the case. In the extreme, the exhaust valve could be damaged rendering the 2nd unbreathable (you could still get gas by using the purge). Understanding that, I'd probably reinforce the crack with duct tape and keep a close eye on it. Probably a good time to practice breathing the alternate.

Use your octo.

Using the octo is problematic. What if your octo goes bad and you need to switch to your octo? What if you have to air share? The odds are good that the OA diver will take your primary leaving you with a reg of unknown condition.

Personally, I'd continue using the "bad" reg since it is in my mouth and I will know when/if it starts leaking. And being in my mouth, it is less likely to get further damaged in a manner that may aggravate the crack as would be the case if you demoted the cracked primary to octo status.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom