what is "altitude diving" and max # of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segraves1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
During my Advances OW course, it talked about altitude as being "anything over 1000feet" and to "limit daily diving to 2 dives at altitude".

Phoenix (lake Pleasant) is 1500+ feet and I KNOW people do more than "2 dives a day" around here :wink:

So what do people really consider "altitude" and when does a person say "this is the most dives I should do in a day"?

Limiting to two dives a day at a 1500 ft. elevation would be REALLY conservative. Some agencies don't even consider it an altitude dive unless you're over 2000'.

If you run a search here or in google on altitude diving you'll find lots of info on the topic and elevation charts you can use.

If you'll be doing a lot of altitude diving when you go computer shopping make sure you get one that auto adjusts for the increased elevations.

PADI's Altitude specialty course defines anything over 1000 feet as altitude. It also preaches the two dives per day limitation, but gives no rationale. Many of us who live and dive at altitude have been busting that caution big time for years. Making depth/time adjustments for altitude is the major precaution we take. We also use various techniques to accommodate changes in altitude while traveling to/from the dive sites.

Is it reasonable to assume that provided you remain under your adjusted (for altitude) RDP table's no-deco limits throughout the day, you could make as many dives as you wanted?

Ex: When I go to the lake Saturday, provided I have surface intervals, account for residual Nitrogen, and adjust repeat dives accordingly.....I COULD just keep diving all day long right?

Is it reasonable to assume that provided you remain under your adjusted (for altitude) RDP table's no-deco limits throughout the day, you could make as many dives as you wanted?

Ex: When I go to the lake Saturday, provided I have surface intervals, account for residual Nitrogen, and adjust repeat dives accordingly.....I COULD just keep diving all day long right?
I believe so; and practice it.

We live at and most our diving is at 2100 to 2500 feet. We don't make take any precautions as to altitude and dive here like anywhere else at lower levels. For hundreds of divers making thousands of trouble free dives I think the 1000 foot limit is WAY too conservative.

Gary D.

The Dive Rite Nitek-Duo can not only adjust for altitude (which is does automatically including calculating your RNT when you arrive) but it can also handle fresh water.

I guess if you believe in computer diving, just dive like the computer says. Whatever it is.

I wonder if this is another good application for Nitrox. The problem with altitude diving is the nitrogen coming out too fast due to the lower atmospheric pressure (I believe). With Nitrox, there is less nitrogen to worry about. I'm making some assumptions about dive profiles...

Richard

Last edited:
My "Home Water" is at 4700 feet and we regularly make multiple dives in a day with no problems as long as you remain at the same altitude until you have off gased enough nitrogen to safely change elevation. For example, travelling between the dive site in Santa Rosa, New Mexico and my home in Albuquerque, you must cross a ridge at almost 7000 feet. It is strongly recommended that divers remain in Santa Rosa until they are a C or lower to minimize the risk of DCS. Hope this helps, but remember, it is better to err on the side of safety.

Good Diving,
Jim Fish

Don't have the link handy but the US Navy manual has a good section on altitude diving including travel to and from altitude. The NEDU forum here should have a link. Warning, its a really big downloadn don't attempt on a slow link.

Posted via Mobile Device

I live near 9000', and dive anywhere from 4000'~10,000ft within driving distance.

The profiles are generally conservative. At Blue Hole we hit 80'+ on most dives, but don't push NDL's much. I maybe between 65~80' for 10 minutes, 15 max, so less than the NDL for 80', and very little time is spent at that depth as most of the bottom is in the 65~75' depth.

It is typical to do four dives, and I've done as many as six in one day. I don't generally PADI bash, but their two dives a day at altitude RULE IMO is just foolishness!

I am acclimated to altitude, but I think most divers that dive at altitude are as well. 1500 feet is a speed bump!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom