Deadline for Ft. Pickens Construction 4/10/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't heard anything lately. I will ask some of the deputies that I know that work on the beach. I am sure that all of this rain we have had recently has slowed down the process some.

I know Springfest is in April, but what about a gathering at Pickens to dive the beach? Tim

The West Florida Dive Club is planning a Beach Cleanup at Ft. Pickens in May, but when I called to ask about permits, etc. they told me I might want to think about waiting until mid to late June.

My parents are leaving this Saturday to go to Pensacola Beach. They are going to check out how far along they are with the road. I'll let ya'll know as soon as I find out something.

Well, Today is the deadline. Here's the latest news: Fort Pickens may re-open by Memorial Day | www.gulfbreezenews.com | Gulf Breeze News

Fort Pickens may re-open by Memorial Day
BY SCOTT PAGE Gulf Breeze News scott@gulfbreezenews.com

After a five-year clean-up project, Gulf Island National Seashore officials are hopeful that Fort Pickens will re-open to the public by Memorial Day, May 25.

"At this point, we hope to have it open by Memorial Day, but there's no gaurantee," said Steamer Lawhead, Gulf Island Natioanl Seashore Florida District Interpreter. "It could, however, be a few days before or a few days after."

Portions of Fort Pickens Road were destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in the summer of 2004 and the project was halted before completion as a result of Tropical Storm Arlene, Hurricane Cindy, and Hurricane Dennis in 2005, all of which resulted in damage to the newly completed roadwork.

"Rebuilding the road has certainly been the biggest challenge to reopening the park," Lawhead explained.

The Fort Pickens area of the National Seashore, which consists of the westernmost 7-miles of Santa Rosa Island, offers visitors, in addition to the historical fort, designated camping and picnic areas.

"Loop A" of the campground has already reopened to tent camping. The rest of the campground, however, remains closed. Bathrooms and water fountains are available in the fort area and at Battery Worth.

Visitors to the Fort Pickens Area should be aware that during construction, the roadway and construction corridor will be closed to the public. This corridor will include the paved area westward from the entrance to the Ranger Station.

Lawhead hinted that those who haven't been to the fort since it closed will see a changed landscape. "They'll probably notice that the island is a lot flatter, and a lot of the trees in the campground have died and are gone."

For more information, call (850) 934-2600.

I spoke with a life guard that is scheduled to work at Ft. Pickens when it reopens today, I asked him when his first day of duty begins.......... Memorial Day Weekend! So after years of waiting it seems we are closer than we thought to reopening. Unfortunately this is also Rainbow weekend at the beach so.......

Back
Top Bottom