Need info on burst disks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm writing some test questions for a science class, and since I like to use diving illustrations I need some information. (I know I could look this up, but when I have such a great resource as SB close to hand, why not use it?)

What is the burst disk pressure for standard Al 80 tanks? I'm writing some combined gas law problems, and I want my students to calculate at what temperature a full tank would pop the disk.

Thanks for anything you can provide!

3000 = 3750 @ 70 degree Fahrenheit

hmmm . . . three responses and three different answers. Here another:

Cylinder test pressure or up to 10% less.

Knotical wins a cookie. Yay!

In the case case of a 3A, 3AA or 3AL tank the test pressure is 5/3rds the service pressure.

For a 3AL aluminum 80 the test pressure is 5000 psi (5/3rds the service pressure of 3000 psi.) In the US by law as defined by DOT regs, the burst disc must fail at between 90% and 100% of the test pressure. So that would give an allowable range of 4500-5000psi.

For a steel tank certified under a special permit the test pressure is 3/2 the service pressure. So for a special permit cylinder with a 3442 psi service pressure, the test pressure is 5163 and the burst disc range would be 4646 psi to 5163 psi.

Now...that is with a new burst disc. As they age and experience pressure cycles, corrosion etc, they will eventually burst at or below the service pressure which is why you should replace them when you get the tank hydro tested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom