Dive Insurance or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you dive locally do you have dive insurance? If you need help will your normal medical insurance cover you?

Yes. A chamber ride is just as expensive here at home than it is somewhere else. Your insurance may cover you but probably not. Check. If it doesnt, but dive insurance. if it does, buy dive insurance. I'd get insurance, just as insurance. Seriously, it's cheap at the price.

Unless you're very sure that your primary insurance will cover dive accidents (as in have it in writing) I'd get the DAN coverage.

To dive locally, I do not really feel the need for me to have dive insurance. But I only make a few training dives annually, and have not found an exception to dive related injuries or illness in my primary health insurance. Since I do most of my diving abroad, and do many days of multiple dives, I do carry DAN insurance (which would cover me at home if my HMO found a loophole to refuse coverage).

DAN insurance, and at the higest level .. for only $70 a year, it's quite a good deal, and with the membership your supporting a good organization that's done much to help divers and diving

Anyone who dives at all, and doesn't get at least the minimal DAN coverage is a fool.

That's about as terse and succinct as I can be, while maintaining the level of acerbic necessary to make sure that my point is not mistaken for a lighthearted comment.

Insurance companies are all snakes. They look for any single reason they can to get out of paying what they are actually supposed to pay for. With that being said paying for DAN insurance which specifically covers diving is a very worthy investment rather then hoping and praying your health insurance will live up to their end of the deal when its time too.

With that being said I would say DAN is an excellent idea since you ultimately are responsible for the bills that will soon come.

Back
Top Bottom