Style of Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan V

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know that this has probably been ask before but....which display would have the largest size numbers, wrist or consol computers? I know that wrist models have advanages but if the read out is too small to see??? :coffee:

I have a oceanic wrist computer that has large numbers,I think aries are the same also. It helps on the wrist types by being able move it to where it is easier to see verses clipping and unclipping a console.

The size of display on wrist computers varies a lot. My Mosquito is too small for me to read, except in bright light (even with my bifocals). The Aladin Tec 2g is bigger, but still small. The Vytec has much larger numbers, and the Liquivision has a display where you can choose the size of the numerals (and make them delightfully large).

I have a Nemo Wide and its numbers are huge. Larger in fact than my Sunto console computers. I also have a Nitek He and its numbers are quite small but I bought it so I could do more than one gas.

One of my buddies has a Oceanic AI console that I can read from 10' away. Huge screen, which consequently makes it big.
demo_pp2 <-------------I am pretty sure it is this one

Obviously it varies from model to model. My Suunto Cobra (console) was stolen and I can't say I was heartbroken for a number of reasons. I now have a Uwatec Galileo (wrist) which has three different display options.

You may wish to repost this question (slightly reworded indicating whether you need nitrox capability, price range etc, since I sense you are just lookingr something with a large display) in the "Computers, Gauges" section of the board rather than bsic scuba questions.

Yes, as you can see, you will probably end up with more questions than answers.
The replies are all correct, and there are so many models to choose from, the best thing is to look at them in person. However, this is typicaly not easy, as you would have to visit a lot of dive shops.
Most of the computers (air setting) are all on a similar algorithm i.e. use the same tissue loading and off-gassing model. One computer that does have large numbers without any adjustments is the Oceanic (air integrated) pro plus 2, but although I use one of these on occasion and it is great, if it dies on you for some reason, you also lose your bottle pressure display. For this reason, some may not like this all in one package (compact) so to say, but if it goes-no more diving.
The best thing to do (of cousre, more expensive) is to always dive with 2 computers. If one fails or the batt dies, you can continue your day or trip.
If traveling and your computer dies, lets say after the first day, then this can put a big cramp in continued diving plans. Even better, have a good old SPG and a computer.
Good luck with the search, and now when you find a good computer, think about a secong one-I am sure this part is not what you wanted to hear, since you are now looking for the first one
Keep up the diving
(stay positive!)

Extreme Dive Adventures Welcome To Extreme Dive Adventures Inc.
rebreathe

You asked about displays but you didn't ask about price!

If price is not a serious consideration, the Liquivision X1 is the nicest display on the planet! Period! Liquivision Home

I think, in general, the console units have larger characters. Unfortunately, they then tend to flood the display with stuff you don't need to know. Almost every computer has tiny little icons that indicate something bad is happening. Now all you have to remember is what each of the dozen or so icons means - if you can see them.

Audible alerts? I never hear them. Maybe it's the 5mm hood. Maybe it's old age. Like everything else in dive gear, these alarms seem to be oriented toward warm water resort divers.

I have a Dive Rite Nitek-Duo. I like the computer a lot but the downloader is trash. OTOH, the software manages to rise to the level of mediocre.

My wife has one of the Aladin Prime computers. The display is a little smaller and it doesn't have all of the features of the Duo but the downloader and software are outstanding. IR communications is the way to go!

It would be nice if you could see the entire package before you settle on just one component. Most computers bundle the software and downloader separately. So, you never really get to see just how ugly the other end of the computer actually is. And expensive...

If you want a decent price on the Duo, check ScubaToys. They bundle it with the downloader for a lot less than the combined prices anywhere else.

Richard

I use a XR2 and it has a very big display. I also bought a wrist mount for it and I don't prefer one over the other as I have my console attached with a zip line to my bc, so It's never far away.

I know that this has probably been ask before but....which display would have the largest size numbers, wrist or consol computers? I know that wrist models have advanages but if the read out is too small to see??? :coffee:
Don't forget where you are diving either. Had a Suunto Cobra for the UK and it was fine, then "upgraded" to a Stinger and found I couldn't see the ascent indicator very well in green water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom