Balanced Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I may be horrible in searching this forum, but I couldn't find the information I need on this question.

I have a basic Aeris Reg and am looking to possibly upgrade. I have been told that if I got a balanced reg (Delta 4) that my bottom time will shoot up. I just had a BT of about 38 min at 50 ft the other day and was told that I could almost double that time with a balanced reg such as the delta 4.

Is this true? Not that I don't believe this advice but I can't find any information on it so I thought I'd ask the pros...

malarkey

Captain Sobel, "Malarkey........doesn't that mean 'bull****'!?"

Private Malarkey, "Yes, sir."

Just clarification. I never would have known that meant BS unless I saw "Band of Brothers."

It is true that a good breathing balanced reg may improve breathing slightly - as in extreme cases it can be hard to maintain a nice slow deep inhalation and exhalation cycle off a hard breathing reg - but it will never double your SAC rate or bottom time.

You will like the Delta 4. It is a good choice for cold water diving (NOAA, Coast Guard and Navy have chosen it for cold water diving) and I just bought one for my wife. She likes it a lot!

You also have at least one person you can cross off your list as a reliable source of information.

Richard

You will like the Delta 4. It is a good choice for cold water diving (NOAA, Coast Guard and Navy have chosen it for cold water diving) and I just bought one for my wife. She likes it a lot!

You also have at least one person you can cross off your list as a reliable source of information.

Richard

Crap. My LDS.

Thanks for the info guys/gals. I knew it would be easier to breathe (being it's $500 and all) but I was shocked to hear that my BT would increase so much.

Oh, and since it sounds like this isn't true. How horrible is my BT of 38 min at 50 ft? I shot right down to 50 and spent 90% of my time at 40-50 ft. I have only logged 40ish dives so I'm unsure of my progression...

Your sac rate is not great if you are going through 2500psi in 38 minutes at around 50'. Breath deep, and slow, maybe 5~8 seconds per breath. It just takes some time. Cold water also makes a big difference. My SAC rate is much better in the tropics vs. diving cold.

LP sells the Delta 4 regulator for $350, so your LDS is not giving you a great price either! Scubatoys sells this regulator also, and they *should* price match LP.

So your LDS told you your SAC rate would DOUBLE breathing off a balanced reg! Wow, that is some serious hogwash! :D

Bad prices,and they flat out lie! That is not a good combination!

Last edited:
Not that it makes it much better but I went through 2000 psi. :) (I figured around 20.1 lb/min) I am using an Aeris A1 regulator, and was excited to improve my SAC rate with new regs...but just as everything else in diving, I know it takes time.

On a positive note, I think my buoyancy control is at an all time best for me!

Oh, and since it sounds like this isn't true. How horrible is my BT of 38 min at 50 ft? I shot right down to 50 and spent 90% of my time at 40-50 ft. I have only logged 40ish dives so I'm unsure of my progression...

Not that it makes it much better but I went through 2000 psi. :) (I figured around 20.1 lb/min) I am using an Aeris A1 regulator, and was excited to improve my SAC rate with new regs...but just as everything else in diving, I know it takes time.

On a positive note, I think my buoyancy control is at an all time best for me!

As RonFrank suggested, there are many factors.

I'd say your air consumption of 2000 psi is probably about average if you're a medium sized guy diving wet in pretty cold water with an al80.

Guys in wetsuits are usually pretty active in cold water.... :wink:

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom