OMS & Halcyon - Can't we just get along..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am tired of having air trapped in my bundied 100lb OMS wings (I know, the wing is to large for my single tank needs..). I really like the IQ-Paq and am looking at purchasing a 45lb Poineer Halcyon wing. I assume I will have to use a STA, but that's ok. As anyone tried attaching a Pioneer wing to their OMS I-Paq? I assume it will fit ok and I will get to experience diving without worring about air trapping. I also assume the LP Inflator hose will just unscrew from my OMS wing and screw onto my Halycon wing as I use an AirII

Thanks for the advice...

My buddy just bought a Pioneer (27#) for his IQ pack.

He got it after using my BPW. He had been using a bungied TrekWing.

I would suggest getting a smaller Pioneer. I use my 27# with an LP120 and canister light. Plenty of lift.

Anyway, give me a few days and I'll report if it works.

Peter

PS. Not sure how to run the Air2. The inflator hose on the Pioneer is nice and short. You'll probably need to remove it entirely and replace it with the hose on the 100# wings.

I was planning on unscrewing the inflator hose where it attaches to the BC from the OMS and replacing the entire Halcyon LP inflator with the one from the OMS. It includes the hose and AirII.

I believe I will need more than a 27lbs wing since I use 35lbs of weight and sometimes need to take it off while in the water. I don't want it to sink! Since the IQ-Paq has intergrated weights, the wing needs to be at least 36lbs to support it while it is not attached to me.

Aquaguy - just because something weighs 35 pounds on the ground does NOT mean that it weights 35 pounds in the water.

Secondly, if you're diving with 35 pounds, I would assume you're either diving dry or with a very thick wetsuit, which also provides bouyancy. Why are you taking your BC off? Are you doing it at depth or on the surface? And using your own calculations, you forgot to calculate the weight of the tank.

Thirdly, Halcyon makes a 36 pound wing, which is what I would get if I had to do it over again.

Sometimes I dive off an inflatable boat which requires you to put your BC on in the water. There is not enough room to put it on in the boat. Also, since I do a lot of shore diving, having 45lbs of lift while going through large waves is helpful. It is also helpful to have as much lift as possible when kicking back in from a shore dive through heavy chop. It keeps your body out of the water and creates less drag when kicking in. Currently, I inflat my 100lbs OMS wing all the way when the surface waves are big. I usually get into shore with much less of a struggle than my dive buddies.

It is a bungied 45# wing.

Not as streamlined as the Pioneer but that doesn't seem to be a big issue for you.

I personally removed all of my extra weight, but I am not doing shore dives in heavy seas, so I cannot comment.

Peter Doege

Is it possible to remove the inflator on the Halcyon? I'm thinking of doing the same since I want an Air 2 on the thing as well and getting the inflator hose onto the wing might be easier than modifying the hose to fit the Air2.

Anyone who has attached an Air2 or similar inflator/octo to a Halcyon wing, please post procedures and photos if possible! :) Thank you!

pdoege once bubbled...
My buddy just bought a Pioneer (27#) for his IQ pack.

He got it after using my BPW. He had been using a bungied TrekWing.

I would suggest getting a smaller Pioneer. I use my 27# with an LP120 and canister light. Plenty of lift.

Anyway, give me a few days and I'll report if it works.

Peter

PS. Not sure how to run the Air2. The inflator hose on the Pioneer is nice and short. You'll probably need to remove it entirely and replace it with the hose on the 100# wings.

pdoege... was your friend able to bolt the Halcyon Pioneer wings onto the IQ pack? Did it need to be modified in anyway to fit? Or are the holes all the same?

I'm thinking of doing the same...as much as I like the Halcyon Secure Harness... the straps may be a bit too "raw" for my taste...specially since I only dive a 2.5mm

jplacson once bubbled...

pdoege... was your friend able to bolt the Halcyon Pioneer wings onto the IQ pack? Did it need to be modified in anyway to fit? Or are the holes all the same?

I'm thinking of doing the same...as much as I like the Halcyon Secure Harness... the straps may be a bit too "raw" for my taste...specially since I only dive a 2.5mm

The hole spacing is the same. I "evolved" from an IQPac with an STA, 100lb bondage wings and no-sag pockets (I was a walking poster boy for OMS), first losing the bondage wings and replacing them with Pioneer 36s. I subsequently lost the IQ Pac completely, making my own harness out of 2" webbing, D-rings, etc, and replaced the OMS STA with a Koplin weighted STA. The only thing left from the original BC is the SS OMS plate (which I really like). I used the Halcyon ACB system for about a year, and finally ditched it for a weight belt. For warm water diving, the weighted STA stays home and I use the OMS STA with a 2.5mm shorty wetsuit. The "raw" straps are just as comfortable at the IQ Pac was, and it's much more "solid" on my body.

Ok thanks! I actually haven't tried the Secure Harness of Halcyon yet... LDS doesn't have it in stock. But if it's comfy enough with just a t-shirt on...then I should be fine.

I'm just exploring all options before buying. LDS OMS dealer will not claim that Halcyon wings fit their BC... Buy at your own risk, they said...

And LDS Halcyon dealer is horrified at the thought of bastardizing a Halcyon MC System! :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom