Masks in PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering buying my own mask. I have no idea where to look at and what prices are but I think it will be cheaper in PG; am I correct? (live in netherlands, europe) In my experience the only equipment that ever bothered me are dripping masks

a must have?
What's the price range for a solid but not fancy mask?
Is there a specific brand or type considered the standard?

Sorry for all my threads; I prmoise I ll answer a lot once I got the knowledge :D

Quit my job today; with a major smile on my face
great moment :lotsalove:

Congrats on quitting your job!:coffee: I've never done that... Hmmm... I must be missing out on the great feeling...:rofl3:

Sonar, you definetly want apersonal mask. But in the meantime, I'm sure Divedojo can lend/rent you one until you can shop around and find one that suits you. Ethei can help you on that (and maybe help you get a deal, talk to him about it once there).

Do you need prescription lenses? Or just regular? Scubaworld in PG has a decent choice. Ethei will point you in the right direction for what you need. When I was there, I found prices to be similar to what I would pay through internet shops like scubatoys. But if you can get a deal through the shop, it might be cheaper. And I don't know how much scubagear is in the Netherlands, but I assume it's expensive as most things are...:shakehead:

In general, you can figure on spending anywhere from 25 to 60$ on a good mask. And the fit is the most important factor (not the price). Whatever the price, a good mask gives you good peripheral vision and does not leak while being comfortable on your face. You need to try a ton on before you find the good one for your face (each person is different).

Have fun in PI!:coffee:

avoid masks with fancy clips or not-regular strap-size. (you'll never have them with you when needed)

Most masks are available w/ clear or black Silicon. In real clear water with bright sunshine you might get annoying reflections w/ clear silicon but in bad vis you get a better "round-view", ... and you see the shade of attacking trigger-fish from the side better..

For, Scubapro, Cressi, Mares are masks you get spareparts here or in Europe

ok real clear

thx again

*sitting at my desk, smiling stupid to my colleagues, doing my last two weeks. Knowing their life sucks and they hate me for that now. I hate them for being so boring :) *

maybe you ought to show your colleagues a picture of your vacation destination, just to rub it in:D
you're right!

anyone have a link to the photo promotion thread?

Jag

Scubaworld in PG seems to have a decent selection. Price wise, may not be any cheaper than say some of the online Euro retailers.

already done that picture thing obviously :D . My screensaver is a see-through sea with a small boat, palm trees and a beach. When it start raining here i ask about the best sun lotion. When they ask me if I did something I was supposed to I look at them like '*** you talk about'

Sonar,

A more expensive mask is not necessarily a better mask. The most important thing is that it fits you well. If a 20 Euro mask fits you better than a 100 Euro mask, take the 20 Euro mask.

The price difference between masks in Europe and the Philippines is really not that big. I see that you are from Holland, so I would really suggest that you head to a bigger dive shop with a lot of choice and pick the mask that fits you best without looking at the price. The one that sticks best to your face and gives you the best feeling is the one that you will take. If it is the 100Euro one, than that is fine. Diving is about seeing things so don't be frugal on a mask. As you said yourself, having to dive with a leaking mask really sucks. If it is the 20 Euro mask that fits you best, even better.

Even though masks might be a bit cheaper in the Philippines, I would go to a shop in Holland with a large variety and buy your mask there. You'll have a much bigger choice in the big dive stores and more chance that you will find one that suits your face.

Kris

Thanks Kris

i will go out and have a look here. Good thing you pointed out the importance of a good mask. I can be cheap at times (I am Dutch) but i shouldnt save on this. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom