Likelihood of gear malfunctions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schoolba

Registered
Reaction score
I've read about some possible problems with gear malfunctioning and am just curious how common it is.

1.) How common is a power-inflator hose free flow?

2.) What about a power-inflator auto inflating?

3.) What about a regulator second stage leak because of leaking valve?

Thanks in advance.

1 very uncommon
2 See 1
3 a bit more common but still rare.A HP valve can leak but most of the time it can be prevented.
Just depress the purge when opening the valve,this will prevent the high power impact of the hp valve on the seat.Thus preventing damage to the HP valve.Don't tamper with the LP seat,unless you know what you're doing.e.i. adjusting the second stage with the seat seated.:D just dont do it.
Get your regs. serviced on a regular basis.
Most likely every 100, or so, dives when used reguraly.
Used less e.i. <25 dives a year,do it every year.

Last edited:
Yes, see 300bar

1. Very common, especially with un-washed corroded gear, as the valve will stick, but this can happen from new condition also.

2. If number one occurs, question number 2 will happen.

3. This can happen for a number of reasons. first, the low pressure seat in the second stage could be worn, or something such as sand will keep it from sealing, or, even new regs can have this problem if an errant sliver of brass, chrome or plastic from production causes it not to seat properly.
Also, if the high pressure seat in the first stage is bad, the intermediate pressure in the reg hose becomes to high and the second stage cannot hold back much pressure over (depending on specific 2nd stage reg) 180psi.

Ok, yes, all can be common, service gear regularly for safety, not for a guarantee.

Be safe, have fun!!
rebreathe

Yes, see 300bar

1. Very common, especially with un-washed corroded gear, as the valve will stick, but this can happen from new condition also.

2. If number one occurs, question number 2 will happen.
b

3. This can happen for a number of reasons. first, the low pressure seat in the second stage could be worn, or something such as sand will keep it from sealing, or, even new regs can have this problem if an errant sliver of brass, chrome or plastic from production causes it not to seat properly.
Also, if the high pressure seat in the first stage is bad, the intermediate pressure in the reg hose becomes to high and the second stage cannot hold back much pressure over (depending on specific 2nd stage reg) 180psi.

Ok, yes, all can be common, service gear regularly for safety, not for a guarantee.

Be safe, have fun!!
rebreathe

:rofl3: yep, when you neglect your gear,that will happen,NO doubt.

Last edited:
The likelihood of gear failure increases at the same rate of your neglect toward cleaning and maintenance.

Short of diving in extreme conditions, very cold, very deep or dirty water, modern scuba gear is extremely reliable. Just take care of it and it will serve you well for years. That's all there is to it.

:rofl3: yep, when you neglect your gear,that will happen,NO doubt.

That is for sure! Most equipment problems can be traced back to neglect. Not thoroughly rinsing regulators and BCs in clean fresh water, periodic maintenance recommended by the manufacturer performed by knowledgeable and reputable repair facility will generally make all 3 of those very uncommon.

I wish you could see some of the dirty, nasty, corroded inner parts of some of the regulators that come through my shop. I'm surprised how well they seem to work in spite of the neglect they've received. Sometimes it's a real challenge to put a reg back in proper working order and looking as new as we can make it look. When we get done with it, it may not look new, but it'll work as new as we can make it.

To answer your question in a roundabout way: if you take proper care of your equipment and get it serviced regularly by a competent technician, chances are it'll never malfunction. It may have a slow free-flow after the second-stage poppet seat takes its set, but that's about all. Tuning a second stage is always a balancing act between too tight (where it feels like you're sucking a golf ball through a garden hose) and too loose (where it breathes quite easily but may incur a slight free-flow after its first use), and the technician risks this free-flow if he tunes the reg too loose. Usually a simple orifice adjustment will fix this.

I wish you could see some of the dirty, nasty, corroded inner parts of some of the regulators that come through my shop. I'm surprised how well they seem to work in spite of the neglect they've received.

I feel your pain.:D we have regs come in with a LARGE part of the Red Sea in it.:shakehead:
And get the complained that the reg. doesn't breath well or even freeflowes.:rofl3:

Q.did you even rince the reg.
A.Rince.:confused: why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom