100cf tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The wife and I are going to Cozumel in June for our first true dives after certification.

Someone suggested that as "newbs" we are probably going to suck a LOT of air :D and that we should ask for 100cf tanks instead of the 80cf standard ones.

The $10 a day extra for the tanks do not bother me one bit, but I am curious as to what others have to say. I want to ensure we enjoy our dives and get maximum SAFE time (we will have either a Suunto or Oceanic computer, I am still trying to figure out which one) and do not want us being "newbie breathers" to cut short our time.

I do not know about Coz but the facts are, newer divers suck down air faster and a 100cf tank may help with better bottom times. I'd spend the extra 10$ as well.

I don't suck air and I would go with 100 cf tanks.. as I like to maximize my bottom time...assuming nitrox is available.. no nitrox, and no reason to use the larger tank.

I don't suck air and I would go with 100 cf tanks.. as I like to maximize my bottom time...assuming nitrox is available.. no nitrox, and no reason to use the larger tank.

I doubt a new diver, worried about sucking air, is going to run up to their NDL enought to worry about Nitrox.

New diver bottom time = 30min +/-
New diver with 100cf bottom time = 35-45min +/-

Hi AquaExplorer,

Aldora Divers uses 120 cu ft HP steel tanks standard. My son and I, not new divers, had an average dive time of 75 minutes for the week with several shallow dives over an hour and a half. I would opt for the extra gas.

Good diving, Craig

..well, not sure how big/strong the two of you are but be careful about tank size...especially for a lady.......while a HP steel 100 IS 'lady sized'.......a HP 120..... LP 120.....and an AL 100 are for the most part NOT going to be 'lady sized'......a LP steel 95 or an AL 80 or an HP 100 steel are usually the comfortable upper limit for the typical adult female.

Thanks scubafanatic, and everyone else.

I never thought about the "size" of the tanks so that is good to know.

In my experience wives/children typically use less air than dads..........

I concur with scubafanatic........any tank larger than an AL 80 would be "big" for my wife or daughter........

The exception might be the HP100 which sees to get universal reviews as a great tank (good balance between size, weight, trim, buoyancy characteristics and volume), but you need a reg with a yolk that can handle the higher pressure and you need good solid fills up to rated pressure to get the extra gas.......

I dive LP 95's up here, my wife would never dive one of those...........

I might suggest that a larger tank for you and an AL 80 for her.........

As the end end of the day, enjoy the dive your BT will be your BT, just come up when you need to..........some of my first cold water, high current, deep dark river wreck dives were only 14 minutes.........no issues..........

BT will come with experience.........

Just relax and enjoy Coz..............

Hope this helps.................M

If I have an option on a trip with single tanks, I will generally take the biggest one they have available (Assuming the price is reasonable, like the $10 you mention). You are paying a lot to get there and go diving, may as well suck every bit out of it you can :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom