What is DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have done searches and read a lot but does anyone have a good definition of what it is?:)

From the little that I understand about DIR the definition is "Doing It Right", a concept of gear and dive practices incorporated into it's own diving agency by the manufacturer of the equipment GUE makes and sells. I believe GUE stands for Global Underwater Explorers. I also believe that they deal with the more technical end of diving, like cave and deep wreck penetration. They seem to be a pretty passionate group with etched in stone diving principals. I'm not "DIR" so this is all I know about the subject. I know that links were posted to you about them, there's my take on DIR.

-Dennis
DIN (Doing It Naked) in the cold waters of So Cal.
(To the DIR guys, you KNOW I had to stick something funky into the post, it's part of muh charm, don't y' know...)

jtivat once bubbled...
I have done searches and read a lot but does anyone have a good definition of what it is?:)

jtivat once bubbled...

Arrogance in a bottle. One swig and you're hooked for life. Stay away from it if you want other divers to like you.

<ducking>

R..
P.S. If you haven't already clicked on reply, it's a joke. OK.

GQMedic once bubbled...
From the little that I understand about DIR the definition is "Doing It Right", a concept of gear and dive practices incorporated into it's own diving agency by the manufacturer of the equipment GUE makes and sells.

GUE is the training agency
Halcyon is the manufacturer
DIR is the name of the concept...equipment does not have to come from Halcyon to be DIR.

GUE does not manufacture any equipment.

*extra credit info
Kool Aide is the drink of choice
Black is the color
Stages are on the left
Knives must be Betty Crocker DIR approved
:eek:ut:

My offer to provide an article explaining a little bit about DIR still stands.

Several people have sent me PM's regarding this from the other thread, and if you include an email address I will be glad to forward it to you.

Kool-ade is the drink of choice? Ok, you got me! Where do I sign up?

-Dennis

bwerb once bubbled...

GUE is the training agency
Halcyon is the manufacturer
DIR is the name of the concept...equipment does not have to come from Halcyon to be DIR.

GUE does not manufacture any equipment.

*extra credit info
Kool Aide is the drink of choice
Black is the color
Stages are on the left
Knives must be Betty Crocker DIR approved
:eek:ut:

I also posted this in the thread over in new 2 scuba.

Thanks for all the info Cave Diver! You should post your article for all to see it is very well written and very informative. After reading it and some of the links you provided I would have to say I think the problem causing the controversy is the name "Do it right" (it implies that most don't) and the way some of the teachers and inventers write. IMHO they have a we are the best and we are better than you attitude although some of there ideas make sense I think they need to tone it down a bit.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom