Ketchikan Diving - May 9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_O_H

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be on my way through Ketchikan on May 9th and am trying to decide whether it's worth hauling my gear up there to get a dive in. I chatted a bit with the folks at Wind and Water (who are super nice, by the way) and it sounds like they'd be willing to take me out, but I have a few questions I didn't think about asking them. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

To the extent it's relevant, I'm a solid diver, used to cold water, low viz and current (though not the kind of current they can get up in AK!) and have my own drysuit.

1) W&W talked about diving a pretty deep profile to 130'. Do you have to go that deep to get out of the plankton bloom or find the best critters? I'm not super crazy about such a deep dive for both bottom time and safety reasons and would much rather keep it above 100' or even 80'.

2) They said they don't like to take divers to Mountain Point on their first AK dive, which is too bad, since it sounds like an amazing spot. Is it just that there's no hard bottom or are there other reasons this site is more dangerous (we'd be diving at slack tide)? And is Mountain Point significantly better than wherever else we'd likely go?

3) How good is the diving? It needs to be pretty good to justify bringing all my gear for just one dive.

They tend to be cautious because of previous visting divers.
The Mt Point site is the superior site and is tide dependant because of possible current conditions and tidal range. The majority of the dive site would be < 100' depending on what one was interested in seeing, color, nudis, fish, soft corals etc would be <100', sponges etc >130'. The site steps off at various levels with the main wall running from surface to about 80'.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom